bass strings rattling

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BigDaddyJ, Jan 25, 2009.

1. BigDaddyJ

BigDaddyJ

Nov 29, 2008
    Hey there this is a noobie question so bare with me. I just recently purchased a new bass and have noticed that the a,d and g strings are to close to the first fret and in turn rattle when I play the open notes. So in order to fix this would I just raise up the saddle on the bridge or can doing this effect other parts of the bass which im not aware of.

Thanks for your time!

2. hey bro!... you need to make sure your neck is straight, but your nut could also be cut to deep. if your neck is nice n' straight then you could simply get a new nut installed. im not really sure, but hope you figure it out man!

3. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    Nah, you should be fine using the screws in the saddled up and down to adjust the action. Just make sure you don't mess around with the screws at the bottom of the bridge, which moves the saddles back and forth- intonations-which actually adjusts the string length, not height.

It's possible that you may actually need a truss rod adjustment to give the neck from relief - in other words, the "bow" of the neck could be pulling the strings too close to the radius of the fret board. In your case, moving the neck "up" (or foward) would create some space between the frets and the strings. But if you're a noob, I wouldn't do this. (given the fact that it's 3 out of 4 strings w/opens and near the first fret, there is decent chance this is your issue, IMO)

I would start with adjusting the saddle height and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you will correct the problem at the expense of a little action.

EDIT: Curt also makes a good point about the nut. I've seen cases where strings actually carves the plastic nut deeper than what it should be, and thus makes the string sit closer to board than it should. But odds are you wouldn't be seeing that on 3 out of 4 strings. Just visually inspect it and make sure it's in position and doesn't look chewed up.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Hey BigDaddyJ,

As an admitted noob, I would also assume you do not know how to do a proper setup, am I correct? You know string height, neck relief, intonation?

Do yourself a big favor, take you bass to a local shop/tech/luthier. Have them do a setup on your bass and see if they will school you an work with you on getting the bass setup to your liking.

I can set up a bass that is comfortable for me, but not for someone else. I do not set mine up too low as I have the tender touch of a Gorilla when I play, however another player may think that way to high...

Once you learn how to setup a bass, you will also learn to identify nut issues or high frets etc...

BTW, a good setup now on your current bass will also identify any issues like this, should they exist.

5. Kareir

Kareir

Nov 24, 2008
    Hey,

Before you do anything else, try raising the bridge a little.
    Detune the strings first, and give them about 1/2-1 turn, then retune and check.

_Kar.

6. YUP thats the one, dont be afraid to ask a pro to SHOW you how to set it up, we were all new once...

7. Another possibility: If you have recently changed your strings, there may not be enough downward pressure on the tuner posts. The strings need to start at the top and go down. This can also be caused by too much string winding on the post as well.

8. If the strings are buzzing when playing open notes it's going to take a LOT of saddle raising to rid that!!!

It really sounds like the nut slots are cot too low for those strings. Get it set up &/or post a thread in the Setup/Repair forum.

Or, if it's new, take it back to the store & get them to provide something that works in exchange for your money.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021