1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Synths

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimKata, May 13, 2010.

1. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Okay so I thinking about entering into the world of playing dual bass and bass synth. Could use advice and ideas in terms of where to start and your preferences.

Had the chance to geek out on a Yamaha cs 15 yesterday - AWESOME. Just want those phat and fuzzy bass synth tones that will rip your ears apart.

Thanks for any thoughts guys.

2. I just picked up a Behringer BSY600 for $30 on evilbay and it is a pretty versatile little thing. I would recommend it especially since you are unsure of you future with synths.

3. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Oh let me qualify this - I already use some pretty serious bass synth effects. I'm thinkin along the line of analogue keyboards.

Not really sure where to put this thread as there isn't a bass synth keyboard section on here.

4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    If you don't need/want to go mobile (i.e. wear it) then you best bet is probably a controller running soft synths from a laptop.

5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Moog Little Phatty!

6. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Novation Bass Station is one to look into. They're pretty cheap, too.

7. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    One of my main dilemmas (probably just a preference issue) is whether to go the straight analogue synth route or use a midi controller and run it through ableton. Cost and sound are obviously the biggest determinants in what I will end up doing. Opinions are welcome.

8. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    MyKeys.

This was my bass synth setup. Covered all your synth needs!
    Here it is now

Keys.

Sometimes I stream line down to just the bass pedals and a Roland XV-5080 module. It is on the bottom of my rack.

974a2667.

9. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Yeah csala, one of my friends recommended that to me along with the moog rogue, and I really am jonesing for that yamaha cs15.

10. JimKata

JimKata

Dec 26, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Looks like fun joey. HOTTT.

11. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    My first choice would be the Moog Little Phatty for sure. But, if you don't want to spend $1200 on one, I snagged the Akai Miniak which does a good job. 37 full sized keys and can be had for about $450 new.

I myself just added synth keyboard to my band and I love it. Honestly though, I wish I had bought the Moog just because of its' status as the affordable elite analog synth.

12. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    M-audio Keystudio controller plugged into a macbook with Reason 4 is what my band uses. It sounds really good, imo.

13. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Reason, Live, Bass Station, they all sound good. In my opinion though, when you are in the room with a real high-quality analog beast with awesome filters like the Little Phatty, there's a whole different level of richness to the sound, especially for bass sounds.

14. tanpsi

tanpsi

Nov 27, 2007
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/articles/davesmithmopho.htm

I've tried this alot a the local GC and might add to my Kurzweil K2000

"only" $400 alot cheaper than the moog

Kurzweil k2000 aren't analog but they do generate thier own waveforms (along with traditional sample playback) so you can get wild analog like sounds that are very expressive and dynamic

K2000 racks go for 200-300 which is incredibly cheap, they were the bees knees back in the day!!!!!

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, Novation makes some great synths.

I use a 2 octave XioSynth myself. Cost me $299.

16. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    Here's my latest. Bass into the upper left...

modsynth3.

dave

17. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    xiosynth user here.. and you can run your bass through it.

18. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    xiosynth as well. And what do you mean you can run your bass through it? You can process your bass signal with the xio? Do tell! I know you could do that with the x-station but I understood that the xio could not do this.

19. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    I had the K Station and the A Station and although they sounded OK they really dont do the analog modeling that great.

The Nord Lead 2X is a great synth. Has very good bass sounds. The Access Virus is also another great one but very expensive. I will also say the Korg Radias is another one that sounds great.

If you are strickly looking for just bass sounds and dont need poly the Little Phatty is the way to go. Deals are out there on used ones.

20. I use the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard. Similar price to the Moog Little Phatty, but I liked the addition of the 2 digital oscillators and additional modulation routes and wasn't that hard up on being completely analog. Both are pretty good though as far as being able to have an instrument that you can get to know and play.