1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass through a guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HGS, Oct 12, 2010.

1. HGS

HGS

Mar 31, 2010
    USA
    Would it work? As in, if I plug a bass into a guitar amp would any sound come out?

My amp is a 15 watt Fender Frontman.

2. Keldur16

Keldur16

May 7, 2009
    Tallahassee Fl
    yeah it would work but, thats a great way to blow the amp

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Nope. The signal would get lost in a subspace time-loop generated by frequency-based cutoff flux capacitors in the amp's circuit. Meaning the signal would get trapped in an infinite loop of wire, traveling around in forever without finding a ground.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Depends on the amp.. I did this for years..

5. The amp itself is fine, just be very careful using guitar speakers.

6. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Yes, sound would come out. Whether or not that sound will be good though is another question. Lots of famous (and not so famous) players have used guitar amps and even guitar cabs over the years.

7. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It will probably spontaneously combust too. I guess it might just create a singularity and suck in the local universe. It all depends on the brand of amp.

8. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    An amp is an amp is an amp. I routinely use a guitar combo amp for bass reinforcement, mostly in an acoustic setting. Here's what you will find.

1. Not enough watts, so you may find yourself pushing the amp to or past its limits. I recommend at least 300 watts if your keeping up with a drummer.

2. Speakers may not handle it. Replace the speakers with transducers made for bass and your all set.

I frequently use a Fender bassman 100 or a Sunn Model T. Both 100 watt tube amps but I use a box made for bass.

9. Hi.

^This. Without a doubt.

As a result, the space will fold into itself, creating a quantum singularity that will swallow the amp, the instrument and the player.

Seriously, You've been a member for about half a year and haven't seen any of the bi-weekly questions about the subject? Nor have You seen the FAQ about this very subject?

An amp can't be damaged with a normal signal that's within its input capabilities. The speakers are a different matter, but if Your ears are working, no problems there either.

Regards
    Sam

10. Well, as far as the amp goes, a TON of famous guitar amps are based on the original Fender Bassman circuit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand a Marshall JTM is just a Fender Bassman flipped upsitde down and the tone stack moved to a different location in the circuit.

11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Incorrect. It might summon a Vogon grader, but the improbability of it would allow the player to escape.

12. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes you can play bass through a guitar amp. I did for the first few years I started playing. You just have to be a little careful with the volume knob and don't crank it up too high. I never had any issues, eventually sold it against a proper practice bass amp.