Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass to computer... do I need a preamp/di?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Hey, just a quick question. I'd like to record my bass on computer. I tried connecting the bass directly to the line in and mic inputs (with a 1/4" to 1/8" thing) and nothing works. Basically, my bass is plugged to the computer with no pedal or outboard preamp, as well as no amp. Last time I used my amp's line out to my computer's line in, I fried the amp. Either way, I have no amp at home, so that option would not be available to even try again.

Long story short, do I need some kind of intermediary to be able to record, such as a pedal or outboard pre between the bass and computer? Any help is appreciated.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you don't get ANY signal while connecting directly to your sound card, I don't know if a preamp will help. IME there should be SOME signal coming in, even if your bass is passive and you use the line input. It'll probably be noisy and weak, but non-existant? Something is wrong, check your sound card's mixer settings first and foremost.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Additionally, there ARE software amplification software available, Amplitude live and garageband are the only two I know of, but they both work great.