Bass up octave distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Doughy, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Doughy

Doughy

Sep 23, 2018
    I have been thinking about setting up pedals so that the bass dry output remains the same but the wet output (octave up) sends to a distortion pedal. Then having a line selector so that the dry and wet are separate via foot switch. The result hopefully being a continuous dry sound but stomp on octave up with distortion. Has anybody tried this or can offer any advice?

2. Sure it is easily done and there are a lot of options for doing exactly that these days from simple to complex. An easy and affordable solution would be to use a Boss LS2 as your splitter mixer. Set the LS2 to = A a+b mode. In the B loop have your octave and distortion effects and use the controls to set your mix. Output goes to whatever other effects you might want to use then your amp.

My suggestion for an octaver and distortion is the TRex Quint Machine NPD: TRex Quint Machine Octave+Fifth updated
    with a Source Audio Aftershock.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Quint machine is nice and pretty versatile but the TC Electronics Brainwaves sounds just as good and can do much more. I had a Quint Machine for a while but when the Brainwaves came I snagged one it kicked the Quint off my board.

4. Doughy

Doughy

Sep 23, 2018
    Thank you, I will look into the pedals

5. Doughy

Doughy

Sep 23, 2018
    Thank you for your help.

6. Brainwaves looks and sounds really cool, love that it does 2 Oct up and all the Toneprints. But it only does two pitches and unless you are iOS you cannot do your own tone prints. I still might try to get one but I'm keeping my Quint.
    @Doughy I should mention that I often use the pitch shifters in the Zoom MS60b as they work very well for me.

7. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Brain waves will do everything the Quint does plus all the Semitones in between upper and lower octave. The Quint is an awesome pedal and just because it is not on my board does not mean I got rid of it. So I guess I am not understanding your comment on it only does 2 Pitches? No contradiction here just don't get where you are coming from I guess.

8. @Nighttrain1127 No argument the Brainwave is a sweet pedal has several modes, covers several octaves up and down diatonic tones but only two pitches at any time. I find the Quint gives me the essential tools, octaves up/down + fifth, ez easy to dial up level and imho works better with distortions as the intended purpose of @Doughy than the TC pedals. I have a SubNup mini that uses the same algorithm and it sounds horrid with distortions for most purposes.

9. Nighttrain1127

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I forgot the second down.

10. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Sorry to hump into your argument, but have much interest in the brainwaves. Can you confirm it has the same the same algorithm as the sub’n’up? So far I have tried many of pitch shifters, and the sub’n’up was not very good, both at speed of tracking and tone; and I recall tweaking the hell out of it. I mean the tone wasn’t bad, just not what I was after; but the latency was very noticeable. So if the Brainwaves is equally designed perhaps I should forget about it.
    What do you think?
    Back into the argument, the brainwaves is full stereo compared to the quint.

11. Apologies it was a supposition on my part, you should ask TC about the algorithms. I personally like both the Quint and SubNup but they are different beasts.

Astronaut likes this.
  12. Astronaut

Astronaut

Jul 21, 2013
    Oh ok, no prob. I’ll keep searching.
    Thanks.

13. It’s commonly known as the royal blood sound. Its pretty popular especially with bass players in 3 piece cover bands in order to fill in the missing rythm guitar when the guitarist plays leads. So its popular with with players in cover bands and as well as original bands who don’t have a guitarist like Apollo Run and Royal Blood for example. I did it with this combination of pedals for a while.
    That YouTube page was pretty useful when looking into that kind of sound. He has a bunch of videos doing the same kind of sound with a lot of different gear. He uses all kinds of distortion pedals like boss, joyo, tech 21, even some where he uses a small Marshall guitar combo amp instead of a dirt pedal. So you can see how it sounds with a variety of options.

instrumentalist likes this.
  14. It’s commonly known as the royal blood type sound. Yes it’s pretty popular especially with bass players in 3 piece bands in order to fill in the a guitarist plays leads.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021