Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass value question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KramerBass27, Jan 17, 2004.

1. KramerBass27

KramerBass27

Jan 17, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a 70's Kramer 450b bass. steel neck bolted to the body. 4 black dials/ 3way tone switch.

Dad bought it new back in the 70's 1500 bucks or something. gave it to me when i was 15. (1993ish)

What's it worth? i have a picture.

I have played on it for around 9 years.

2. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Isn't the neck aluminum?

3. KramerBass27

KramerBass27

Jan 17, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think your right... I dont know too much about basses other than to play them. Mine has the aluminum neck with stained wood inserts....

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

There's a lot of basic info here: http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

I found one old consignment listing for one for $900, but that seems pretty high to me. They were down around $3--400 for a long time, I had a roomie who owned one. With vintage stuff, you never know though. Can you post the picture?

Really nice Travis Beans are worth a grand or a bit more, and those are seemingly more in demand, and generally nicer instruments, IMO. But then, I own one of those...:cool:

My roomie's Kramer played really nice, actually. The neck design gets around the TB chillout effect too, which is not a bad thing.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Price of $1500 in the seventies seems way high. They don't even anywhere near that much today. I've passed them up at around $400-500.

6. KramerBass27

KramerBass27

Jan 17, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    that link you posted is a godsend! Thanks!

I'm looking to replace afew things on it and possibly keep it. it's been in the family too long to consider it a *Just a bass*.

Again. thanks. :bassist:

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm looking to replace afew things on it and possibly keep it. it's been in the family too long to consider it a *Just a bass*.

I totally relate to that. I bought my Bean new in '77, and it was my only bass for most of the years until 2003. I'm planning on fixing it up one of these days, but it still does certain things that I just haven't found anywhere else. Shoot, that bass *is* family to me.

that link you posted is a godsend! Thanks!

No worries. I had it bookmarked at one time, and it only took a minute to find it again.

--Charlie Escher