1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bassculture pickups or else?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Krompeer, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Hello bassfriends!
    I'm planning to change pups on my laurus bass(it has laurus pickups ideal for finger style, useless for slap i measured it on spectral analysis software-nothing above 1,5khz), so I planned to put nordstrand dual coils, but three luthiers and one bassist told me the same thing-that they are too much magnetized(so I can forget about sustain) that they have terrible attack and that they tend to make strange sound on lower strings from time to time one of them described it as "wubbling". Salesman from Italy (from w&t basses very friendly and willing to help ) told me about German made pickups "bassculture", but I can't find almost nothing about them. Has anyone any experience with those pickups? Or can anyone suggest what is the best choice for bartolini sized pickups?
    Cheers

2. What!?:confused:

I've never heard of any pickup not producing anything beyond 1.5K.
    You clearly have a problem somewhere, because the frequency response is severely limited.

3. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Yeah...that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. What model do you have? Have you tried contacting Pierluigi? He's a really nice guy.

I'm from the USA, own an older Quasar T400, and had no problem getting in touch with him. Very helpful and full of information. I know my bass has the original Kent Armstrong designed pickup, and I definitely don't have any type of frequency cutoff (at least not that low). That said, a wide spacing Bartolini would probably fit in my route.

4. I have "izotope ozone" plug in with very precise spectral analysis. Sure that it isn't possible to totally cut of certain frequencies, I didn't mean that there's nothing above 1.5khz-there is something like white noise at aprox -80db(i could upload samples if you still don' believe me.
    I emailed Laurus about same issue and about bass info-no response
    Gscrogin could you please upload photo of you t-400 pickups? If it is same as mine that definitely something's rot with my pickups(i bypassed the electronics and connected them directly,same problem)
    Thank you in advance and dont mind my bad English

5. I would definitely like to hear some sound clips.

FWIW, I don't know if this will be of any help at all, but here is a screenshot I had of the frequency response of two Jazz bass bridge pickups.

This should at least give you an idea of what frequencies should be present in a pickup. (A midrangey bridge pickup anyways.:hyper:)

4090154871_efa52a11ae_o.

6. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Here you go: http://www.trya.us/images/laurus/LaurusPickup1.jpg

If you want something more involved (like the cavity, pickup cover removed, etc), let me know, and perhaps I'll get off my butt and start another project :smug: I've been debating refinishing the fingerboard and slightly routing the body (string to body depth has always been too shallow for my liking).