basses basses and more basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Aug 27, 2013.

1. I have a 4 string bass (geddy lee jazz), ive had a five string ibanez sr505 (played for over a year then sold it) and i have another bass an unusual sx 6 string jazz bass!
    Have played ibanez sr506 and cort A6 string for longish periods to know that i do not like them!
    Have played a super nice deluxe american 5 string jazz which i really liked but i do not want that neck heel and 20 frets and a body that heavy which still does not balance very well!

I am right now having to take a break from playing all together because of my neck and shoulder strain caused due to multiple reasons such as heavy heavy weight, hanging it too high and possible bad posture! Which is now making me sit down and plan (and save) for the future!

What is the bass of the future for me!?
    1. does not weight a ton! 8-9lbs
    2. ergonomic design so it does not create impediments rather it should facilitate playing (both old school and modern/contemporary techniques and styles)
    3. should it be a 4/5/6 string? i cant decide! probably get one of each again :ninja: (all three have very solid advantages and disadvantages) lets start in the middle and get a 5 to begin with!
    4. body shape/design - although i love jazz basses and i have played jazz basses for pretty much my whole life i'd like something a tiny bit smaller and handier! doesnt need to be ibanez SR small!
    5. the neck should feel like the way this geddy lee neck feels for any number of strings :smug:
    6. money - you dont always get what you pay for! :) I am another broke musician saving every penny towards lessons or better gear and gas(fuel) to get to gigs! so i can save up, over time, towards a solid goal but a figure above 1200 is too daunting with the current exchange rate hitting the sky! so I'd like to buy USED within the USA and figure out how to get it to my location!
    7. string spacing - oh yeah 18-19mm seems nice! 34"inch scale too! i'd rather play a shorter 33 or even a 32.5 but you dont get those too often in the mainstream market so 34 be fine then! 35 is a no go i feel!
    8. notice i did not talk about the tone or sound! that can go into a world of explanations so i am just worried about the first 7 issues for now. from my experience i have learned to adapt and tweak the sound to my liking as long it has the general characteristics to my liking. since i cannot really try before i buy anyway i go by what i hear from others and demos!

By design i meant i am still trying to figure out things here, the garry willis/classical guitar position seems to be quite good for playing some things but the old school bass on the right leg while sitting is fine too! I feel the bass should feel fine both ways! If i start consistently saving up today i can might be able to save up by early next year or so depending when someone i know is coming down from the US and can get a bass along for me! free shipping yay! so yeah suggestions, ideas?!

Basses which i have not really tried and do not have clear ideas towards
    1. mtd kz series - stock electronics dont seem to sound good to me, used upgraded kz's keep showing up what is the real deal with these??
    2. new yamaha trb - like the thin nice but 35" and pickups and electronics dont seem to have character again i just dont know what they sound like!

basses or characterstics i cant like
    1. basses with p bass necks
    2. warwick basses

what else!?
    what do you think could be an ultimate bass for me to look forward to!? how about them carvins and what else is out there i should be looking to?

i know this has been a long post! but if you have the time with you to read through and got some basses to recommend that will be super helpful!

2. Check out the Brubaker Brute MJX-5 series, either the Single-cut or traditional double cutaway. 34" neck, 19mm at the bridge, thin front to back asymmetrical neck with 16" to 20" compound radius fretboard. MM pup in bridge position with coil splitter switch (single/series), J pup at the neck, 2 band active eq. It's a bass players dream bass (was for me anyway :D).

3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I didnt think they made a lighter bass than the sr505 you mentioned. I used to own one, wish I never got rid of it. Lightest bass I ever owned (especially for a fiver), and I shall own one again.

edit: Okay, I re read your post, and I think you dislike the sr 505? (disliked the 506 anyway from what I read)

feel free to ignore my post then.

;)

carry on.

4. dont really like the sr series anymore! the string spacing makes me feel funny in a bad way and mk1's dont sound any good to me either! can change the pickups but you cant change the spacing and the neck width

5. still like one after getting it!? :bassist:

6. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    MM bongo?

7. very interesting! pricey though! will be hard to find these used! looking for similar gear!

8. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    The Bongo still has some weight to it but it is has great balance on the strap.
    Sitting down it is not the most comfortable bass to play IMHO.

9. I have the discontinued JJX-5 model, but, yes, my Brute is not going anywhere, anytime soon!

10. i sit and practice and that takes up most of my playing time so that is super important really!

11. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
  12. m1ghty GIR

m1ghty GIR

Jun 24, 2013
    Spain
  13. am not looking at buying right now
    but narrowing the future bass hard specs down to
    5 or 6 string bass..
    34" scale
    light weight!
    ergonomic design!
    24 frets and easy access all the way till the 24th fret!
    should be able to buy used or new for less than or around 1200$ or 1500 MAX :eek:
    18-19mm spacing, 17.5 or 18 be ok if its a 6 string, min 18 or 19 for a 5er
    modern bass but should compliment old school playing style and sound too!

asking for too much!? i guess i am :D
    future bass fund starts today!

14. all the nice 5 and 6 string basses seem to be 35" scale!
    any recommendations for 34" 5 and 6 string basses close to or around 1.2k? new or used!?

edit: needs to be
    light at 9lbs
    no jazz bass like neck heel, easy access to 24 fret
    ergonomic modern design!
    18-19mm spacing at bridge

15. msact

msact

Jan 8, 2013
    Somewhere in NJ
    Used Stingray 5

16. sorry i forgot to copy the other specs ive been zeroing down on above! my bad!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021