1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses with colored strings!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muusers, May 3, 2010.

1. Show them off!

Here's my '78-'79 aka "Glazed Donut"

Fender7901.

Fender7902.

Fender7903.

2. 4389132770_bf3be0b5a7_b.
    3726818161_d425b7a0cc_b.
    4389132786_6dee247032_b.

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    fl2a.

El-cheapo Rogue Fretless with Roto 66 strings.

4. I know I've told this story here before but . . .

my buddy owns a music store that I went to visit. He gave me a few sets of DR strings, one of which was an acoustic guitar set. Thankful, as I had a televised gig the next night and had been meaning to change my strings. One thing led to another and I had no time to change them until I show up for the show, 1/2 hour early (not optimal, but it was a short show so didn't matter)

well I start taking the old strings off to realize the DR's are rainbow colored :eek: and my "spare" set is nowhere to be found.

fwiw I hated them, put a pair on my electric too (black :D)and broke a string, probably the first time ever . . .

wonder if they are better for bass - never had the urge to try them after that . . .

5. I don't know if black counts but

DSC02421.

DSC02418.

6. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    blackstrings.
    blackstrings5.
    blackstrings4.

7. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    So who makes the colored strings?

8. heytrid

heytrid

Feb 12, 2008
    Calgary AB
    DR Make them, another company is Aurora. There is a couple

[​IMG]

9. well black is a color, hmm so is silver/nickel :eyebrow:

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here are a couple. Colors aside, I actually like these strings for feel and tone. I just put a set of Silver Stars on one of my basses.

11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    One more - Maxima's.

12. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Actually black isn't a colour. The only one that isn't. It absorbs light rather than reflects it. Although most thing which are black are actually just really dark red or blue.

13. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Are the strings anodized?
    If not, how do they color them?
    Does it flake or grind off on the frets over time?

14. haha touche!

15. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    hey bstringkyle sell me that bass???? i love it is it a RI 70s cij ? or the geddy ?

16. My strings are sliver. That's a colour. Do I win?

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I am very partial to the DR coated strings. I like the feel of the coating, and the sound of the strings.

18. Lucho.Metal

Lucho.Metal Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    funny

19. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

All my basses have silver colored strings on them too.

20. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Actually, black is only a non-color only in terms of light, as in the absence of all light. Without light we cannot see color waves. However, when dealing with pigment, it is the opposite. All colors mixed together make black or gray depending on how dark the value of the pigment is that is being mixed, and white ends up being the absence of all color or pigment...that is if the surface you're working on to begin with is white. Those working in biomimicry are working to design surfaces that will control the speed in which color waves travel back to the eye, thus controling color without toxic paints. Probably more than you all wanted to know, but now that's out of the way, here's my black stringed 62 RI Jazz.

DSCN0243-1.

DSCN0244-1.