1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses with HUGE bottom end

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, May 30, 2011.

1. I started another similar thread before but it kind of went in a different direction than I was expecting (still an interesting read).

What I'm asking this time is, what bass(es) do think had/has/have the biggest, thickest, punch-you-in-the-gut bottom end in your experience/opinion?

I know some rigs can make a variety of basses sound huge, this isn't about rigs though. I'm talking about basses exclusively here.

I've played some active Ibanez basses that can get pretty huge low end, but I remember one time sitting at GC playing around and some kid grabs a Carvin 6-string and plugs it in and WHAM I'm hit by this huge low end coming from that thing.

Let's hear about those basses with MASSIVE low end! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have two recommendations: anything with one of those big 'ol Gibson sidewinder "Mudbuckers" (all low end)... or a G&L MFD humbucker. Big bottom even in passive.

3. 4 string player

4 string player

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a USA Peavey 5 string Millennium, it absolutely has a huge bottom end and a great player.

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
  5. Speaking of 5 string Peavy Milleniums...

PeaveyMillennium640x480.

That bass has the most beautiful finish I've ever seen. I don't like anything else about that bass's aesthetics, yet the finish alone makes me want it.

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I love the body shape on the Milleniums.

7. It's not bad, really. I just don't like how pointy the horns are.

I'd also prefer it if it had two soapbars.

8. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
  9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Wow what a beauty !

10. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Not a specific bass, but dropping an Audere pre into any bass and setting it to the "Low Z" mode with give you a MASSIVE but natural boost in the lows.

11. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i have always thought laklands just looked like fender clones, but damn is that decade a sweeeeeet bass!!

12. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Modulus Quantum 5 or 6.

13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Rob Allen. Huge low end and the piezo has a quicker attack.

14. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Thanks!

15. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Jan 3, 2011
    Either the Höfner Club or Violin bass would be great. The neck pickups have a large boomy bottom end, especially with the bass boost switch on. Handles everything very well.

Karl Höfner GmbH & Co KG - Club Bass - CT

DSC00131.

16. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    The pics of that 5 string Millenium bring back memories. I had one exactly like that. Great basses.

17. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    +1 on the Hofner.

I know this is likely to be met with skepticism but in AB tests my Ric always beats whatever my new interest is in the low end department. The only thing that has beat it so far? The aforementioned Hofner bass. I have never had a Fender design come close to either one as far as actually bottom end.

18. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    my Musicman Sabre has the most bottom end of any bass I've played. anything with good active pups should have lots of bottom. I prefer passives though.

19. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The biggest bottom I have ever experienced out of a Fender is a Roscoe beck 5.