1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AdamF, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Advice sought! I live in Melbourne. I use GK gear and play very 'clean'. I play an Aria Pro II active in a blues band cum originals. And a Mexican Jazz fretless in a jazz trio, sometimes augmented, playing standards.

The Aria is small, light and fast, I like it, and I find shifting between the two an effort - but no big dramas. The necks are very different and the Aria pickups far more dynamic. This cuts across the greater musicality you get from a fretless.

I am starting to find the Aria a little imprecise at speed. So I was thinking of some sort of upgrade. And it does not slap well.

I just tried a A$2800 Warwick, and was not too impressed - but maybe it is not my bass. And that is a lot more money than the Aria is worth. So should I try to upgrade the Aria? It is professionally set up, I use very light strings (105 E). Bridge change? Or keep looking for an upgrade to a better bass?

Meanwhile could I get a matching pair, one fretted one fretless - the reason I tried the Warwick is that I thought of getting a pair of the Corvette passives. Then swopping between the two could be easier. But I was not impressed by their expensive elder brother. But maybe unfairly.

I used to own an EB3, and kind of think like that, hence the Aria (and it's red) so getting the Fender was a big change. But it is a very nice instrument.

Advice?

Anybody out there with similar issues?

You Americans enjoy your election, we just had ours.

Adam

www.aduki.com.au - music

2. I remember that Aria makes Steve Bailey Signature model. This bass is very playable and it sounds great. might be a solution if you're accustomed with Arias.
    I don't think changing the bridge on your bass will dramatically improve your bass, that's an upgrade, though it'll not be a different bass.
    How much do you want to spend in both fretted/fretless basses?

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Hello.......IMO -changing your Aria would probably not fix it. I had an Aria Pro II ZZB Custom in 86'. Of all my lost basses, I miss it the most for utmost quality. Slim, fast neck with awesome pick ups. Better yet, it had the only brass, fine tune bridge I have ever seen on a bass. Anyway, I believe your Aria is what it is and altering it may not get you what your seeking. It may damage it's overall, original Aria glory. I would keep the Aria original and try other basses until your other desires are satisfied. I would start with any upper G&L model. Good luck....

4. Thanks for the advice. I think that one cheaper option would be to change the pickups on the Fender to make them more sensitive/responsive. I'll check out that bit of the site. G&L basses seem to have a reputation for very high output pickups. ???
    Adam