Bassic Practice Space Steps

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by courderoy guy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Hey all - just moved into a house with a cement basement. Pretty big, maybe 500-square feet separated by some basic walls. Cement floor, cement block walls.

I'm looking into having my rock-fusion-jazz band practice there. We're not overly loud, say in comparison to a punk or metal band, but not entirely quiet either (thanks, drummer). So, some basic questions -

- I'm not looking into spending much money to set it up. Not looking for recording-studio sound, etc. Just some basic tips to maybe keep the reverb down? Does putting up, say, quilts along the walls help at all? Maybe a rug on the floor?

Any tips you might have would help.
  2. keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Cover walls with carpet or blankets to help absorb sound and keep it from bouncing all over the place.

Egg crates are another idea.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Carpet on the walls won't do much to keep sound from getting out of your basement, but it'll deaden the higher frequencies within the room somewhat. Deadening the room is what you want to do in this case, but don't make it too dead. I was in a band once where the practice space had carpet on the floor and all the walls, and the room was totally lifeless. I would concentrate on carpeting the floor and any walls that are concrete/brick, but leave everything else alone unless you find that you need it down the road. Putting a couple couches in there would help a bit too.

Oh, and ease off the drummer! :)