Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASSIST IN DISTRESS!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by teenagebass69, Dec 26, 2004.

1. :help: OK I need help with something. I was wondering if anyone on these forums could provide me with a good double bass practice routine. Yes, I've already tried the search engine on the site but I found nothing of help. I was also wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how I could get my sight reading, playing speed, and bow technique to a higher level. Thanks for all your help.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Try getting a teacher... The Best working Bassist in the Symphony field will help your bowing. Watch Jazz players for learning music and approach but it's the Classical stuff that will train your hands.. Left and right.. No substitute!

3. Teenage -- Ken is right, a good teacher can give you all kinds of practice routines. But if you don't yet have a teacher, there is a video you might want to check out by Jeff Bradetich called "Double Bass Technique". Jeff is a music professor/bass instructor, I believe at the University of Texas. His video can be purchased through Lemur Music on the web, or elsewhere I'm sure. The video has lots of good practice routines.

-- John Greitzer

4. I do have a teacher but theres only so much that can be learned for 1 hour a week...ill check out the vid

5. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    1 hour-Warm up: Long bow on open strings, Scales, Arpeggios, Vomit, Etudes and any other exercizes
    1 hour- Orchestral Rep
    1 hour- Solos
    Optional cool down

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Huh!

A teacher should be giving you more than enough to keep you busy each week.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[1 hour-Warm up: Long bow on open strings, Scales, Arpeggios, Vomit, Etudes and any other exercizes

LOL!! Is the vomiting mandatory?

8. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Vomiting is a type of exercise. I am sure there is a thread about it somewhere.

9. pat.p

pat.p

Nov 20, 2004
    Poland, Poznań
    Hello.
    The most important thing is, tht you WANT to play, to be in music and with music.
    I think, that music is so huge, so wonderful that no one is able to learn everything.
    Try to find some things you will work on. Only a few. Look for details. When you are practicing think only about things you are working on. Always MEAN IT WHAT YOU PRACTICE. Try to find a beauty in every (almost every...) sound you create. Try to find a good way of communicate with your teacher; don't be impatient. These things take a lot of time, but it doesn't mean, that you must wait for satisfaction and joy a lot of time. Just start with simple things. Listen to good records, concerts, let the music come to you and feel like home.
    There are many books (John Goldsby "The Bass Book" is really great), but the most important is your own experience, contact with people and playing for them and with them.
    Practice slowly ( listen fast) and be systematic.
    Good luck
    Pat

10. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    If you don't have them already, you will want to check out the following technique books:

General Technical Exercises:
    Simandl Books I and II (Genesis and Exodus of classical technique)

Etudes:
    Simandl: Gradus ad Parnassum
    Kreutzer Etudes (transcribed for bass of course)

Bowing:
    A Contemporary Concept of Bowing Technique by Fred Zimmerman

If you're not using some of these, bring it up with your teacher and mention that you'd like to try them out. Obviously, the books won't make you better but practicing what they preach certainly will. Hope this helps.