Bassist Mike Cockerham

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mikec, Dec 14, 2003.

1. mikec

Dec 14, 2003
    Dallas, Tx USA
    Mike was born in Plano and moved to Allen in 1984. Mike's father booked bands at the local American Legion hall, so Mike was greatly influenced and encouraged by the musicians that he came into contact with. As the years passed, Mike fooled around at home with rubber bands, cardboard boxes copper pipe, etc. making homemade musical instruments. In 1992 a close friend gave him an old Harmony electric guitar and he proceeded to teach himself to play, and eventually switched to bass. He never went back, and the only bassist I know that plays a right handed Bass with the left. I mean completely upside down, strings and all! Mike met Shane in grade school, and met Davin a couple of years later. They formed a band called SubReality where he acquired the nickname "Great White Mike". After a while, Davin introduced Chad, a long time friend of his, and we decided to tone it down and start another band: Stride. Mike's influences, in his own words are, "Every musical sound I've ever heard in my life, ranging from the Dave Bruebeck Quartet to Meshuggah." I asked Mike why he does what he does. He says, "I believe music comes from the soul, so when you hear this music, you hear an unspoken part of me … there's nothing like it. I wouldn't have it any other way".