1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassists with Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IamGroot, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Jack Bruce
    Rick Grech
    Carl Radle
    Nathan East
    Willie Weeks
    Stevie Winwood

My observation. Jack Bruce was an equal voice in the band. Since then, Eric's .bassist have kept it solid, but nothing flashy

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Jack Bruce sang lead, one major reason he was a force to be reckoned with. And his playing was extremely melodical, but I wouldnt call it flashy per se, at least not in terms of today’s styles. I would give him major props tho for dealing with Ginger Baker and not strangling him!

3. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Didn't Duck Dunn play with Eric for a couple of years...including the Live-Aid show?

jnewmark, MVE, 2saddleslab and 4 others like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He is on the Forever Man video.

jamro217 likes this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I get what @IamGroot is saying.

In fact I've always thought of Cream as more Jack's band than Eric's.
    I'd guess after that experience maybe Eric vowed only to hire sidemen.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    the writer Jim Clash says that after Graham Bond, Cream was Ginger’s idea and he asked Eric to join. Eric then asked about getting Jack for bass, and Ginger reluctantly agreed, mostly because Jack was the best player around when the group was being formed. So Ginger claimed to have been the one who started Cream...of course he had some major emotional and substance issues so maybe Ginger Was “misremembering”.

SwitchGear and jamro217 like this.
  7. jdaunt

jdaunt

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    You forgot Paul Samwell-Smith (Yardbirds) and John McVie (Bluesbreakers). Yes those weren’t necessarily HIS groups, but that argument could be made for Cream too.
    Also, Pino recorded with him and toured with him a bit ‘06-‘08 and he played with Marcus Miller in Legends in ‘97.

8. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Off topic but man after reading Clapton's autobiography I'm not sure I would have wanted to deal with him any more than Ginger.

higain617, Ikkir, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  9. Smokey Lynx

Smokey Lynx

Apr 17, 2019
    Dave Bronze
    Saw him play live a few times , excellent bass

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Clapton always has great bassists, I’m partial to Weeks and Radle. I love Jack Bruce, but his thing was different than Clapton’s needs.IMHO

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pino Palladino on "Bad Love"...with Phil Cillins, IIRC. From Journeyman.
    Some flash is present.
    :)

GreggBummer, jamro217 and wesonbass like this.
  12. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I really like Radle's work on the Derek and the Dominos "In Concert" album.
    That's Carl on the far left.

59jazz, yodedude2, MVE and 7 others like this.
  13. Dave814

Dave814

Aug 23, 2013
    Central PA
    I love that album. I even have it on my phone.

macmanlou, jamro217 and guitarflinger like this.
  14. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    Comparing Cream to Clapton's solo career isn't apples to apples though.

15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Jack Bruce was not one of Clapton's bass players. You cannot compare him to the guys he hired on his solo albums and tours.

rmayer, design, kobass and 3 others like this.
  16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Why was Baker reluctant to to have Bruce in the band?

jamro217 likes this.
  17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Duck was on the "Money And Cigarettes" album and the original tracks submitted to the record company for "Behind The Sun", and a couple of tours surrounding those albums. When Warner Bros demanded he add some more commercial songs to the album, a different producer came in for some tracks recorded in LA and that's when Nathan East started working.

Dave Bronze was on a live album in the '80s, and at least one tour more recently. Plus Pino's on several tracks on "Journey Man" and I think "August". I think Rick Danko played on some tracks on an album recorded at The Band's Shangrila studio, but I can't remember the title.

jamro217 likes this.
  18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    It is wrong to say Jack Bruce was EC’s bass player. The correct statement is EC was Jack Bruce’s guitarist.

19. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Before Cream, they'd both played in the Graham Bond Organisation.
    From interviews, it sounds like they were both at times, let's say, difficult...or, if you'd prefer, deserving of a good kicking.
    It's that whole 2 alpha males thing.

fhm555, Wisebass and jamro217 like this.
  20. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Baker got Bruce fired from Graham Bond, and Jack said "at the point of a knife, actually". They had a difficult relationship ship from the start, but Clapton didn't know that when he told Baker he wanted Bruce. Baker was reluctant due to the ongoing conflicts, but agreed that Bruce was the best bassist for what they wanted to do and reluctantly agreed.