Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists with small hands...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kommunistik, Jan 17, 2004.

1. I am a bassist with small hands....anyone else have this problem? its hard to get around the large frets...and i don't consider going to the guitar cuz bass is so sexy. But, what i wanna know is, any good basses out there for bassists with small hands?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender Jazz Bass. Smallest neck ive played. Its literally really, really skinny.

3. My Music Man Sterling has a tiny little neck. Pretty much like a jazz neck. That thing is almost too easy to play. I have to watch myself so that I don't be playin' all crazy-like. To validate my input, I should tell you that I'm only 5'6". We little people gotta stick together.

4. i'll go try it soemtime then, I also heard the Fender Mustangs are pretty good, but i havent tried one out cuz i the guitar centers near my house never has one, and how's the weight on the jazz bass btw?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    it is pretty heavy ,but a nice strap takes care of that.

The mustang is short scale i belive, and im not sure if you want that.

6. YES!! US LITTLE PEOPLE MUST REJOICE!!!! :caps:
    i'm also 5'6'' ahahaha, i've played a music man before, i think it was the SUB but that thing is kinda on the heavy side....

7. My Sterling's not real heavy. Definitely not as heavy as a SUB. I'm pretty buff though, I'm about as wide as I am tall. :meh:

You should get a six string. That would get your hands in shape, and help you overcome lilguyitis. Oh, and just so you know, we're not actually short. We're high performance low profile.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I met a guy not too long ago who had small hands. He had Keith Roscoe build a 33" scale 5-string, which interestingly, had one of the tighter B strings I've heard.

Some builders, such as Alembic, have 30" scale models, as well.

9. well see...that kinda reinforces u....i'm medium sized in height but im puny....so, i kinda prefer lighter basses.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SUB's weigh in around 9-10 LBS, my Precision tilts the scale at 11...no complaining anyone. LOL. Anyway, small hands aren't as big of a handicap (no pun intended) as people think. I've got small, girly hands that prefer fat necks like P-basses and Stingrays. The fatter the better for me, and five and six string basses, upright basses, aren't a problem. Very seldom do large hands prove to be an advantage because stretches rarely exceed 4 frets, which is still reasonable for most.

11. i have a p-bass myself, and yeah, to me its heavy, cuz im puny...and my reach isnt that great,but i still try. i guess i just need to practice more...

12. get a six string and force the situation.

13. get a six string and force the situation.-jrug

haha, maybe i should do that

14. More practice can definitley help...IMO i find if you stick with a bass long enough you sorta adapt to it and can get used to its size(not always, but generally)

I too have small hands..and i used to play chunky necks as well...and got used to it...i still do play them,but my main bass is a RIC now which isnt quite as thick as my P's i find.

15. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I have found Warwicks to be great choices. Mtd's work also.

16. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've also got pretty small hands, i've found out that string spacing, and technique, is much more important to my playing than scale lenght and neck size. The musicman sterling is to me great because it has a tighter string spacing and the neck is going in deeper into the body, therefore easier to reach. If you find a standard fender difficult to play, consider a different bridge which have tighter string spacing, somehow it always helps for me. ;)

17. I would say go with the Jazz, I have an early 90's MIA Jazz Deluxe and I love it ..I to have small hands . Over the years I have addapted to other basses and did fine but I also HAve Ibanez Soundgear 5 string and the neck isnt really bad on it for a 5.. I have seen them with a neck like a 2x4...lol...The only bass I have ever had that I hated for the neck was a THUNDERBIRD..neck felt like a baseball bat lol.....

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have very small hands and play a Modulus 35" scale 6 String bass.
    Its a matter of thechnique, once you become one with the instrument its easy..

19. thanx for all the feedback everyone

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    AMEN. Size doesn't matter! Not like I'm makin excuses or anything... :p