Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bassists without a soul..

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Suckbird, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    ..alot of people complains on fast guitarist because they have no soul but how about bassists?

There's alot of fast bassist like billy sheehan, does he have a soul?

2. don't be silly we all have souls

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    X without a soul is different than without soul. It's the "A" that makes a big difference in what it sounds like you're asking. I personally think that a LOT of popular music these days has no real soul to it, as far as bass goes. So much of it is done by sessions musicians for pop/rap/pop-punk/emo. Musicians come in at different times at play what's written down, for money. Not much soul involved in playing something that doesn't have your name on it and once you're done, you're done.

-Eric.

4. coughcough.. John Myung? cough cough.....

Maybe that's not fair, after all, the time I saw Dream Theater he wasn't even audible. The groove just wasn't happening, IMO.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't particarly care for Stanley Clarke or Victor Whooten when it comes to the (I don't know if I'd call it soul) feel department. Something about both their styles leaves me ice cold. Doesn't get under my skin, just kinda reaks of "HEY!!!!! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!"

6. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I often hear guys like that and say to my wife, "boy, I wish I could play like that." To which she responds, "You want to play like that?" And I say, "no, but I wish I could."

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    That's funny.

8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Sorry for the derailment, but - yellow, what kind of bass is that in yer avatar?

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    CHAIRMAN: .... Item six on the agenda: the meaning of life. Now, uh, Harry, you've had some thoughts on this.
    HARRY: That's right. Yeah, I've had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and, uh, what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: people are not wearing enough hats. Two: matter is energy. In the universe, there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio, as orthodox Christianity teaches. It has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved, owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

ANOTHER ATTENDEE OF THE MEETING: Can I get back to that first point of yours? What was that about the hats?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.