Basslines needed

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Allica, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Allica

Feb 4, 2005

I'm new here (got the link to these forums from a friend), so I have no idea whether I'm in the right or wrong forum.
    Since a month or so I've been joining an orchestra (my father in law plays trumpet there and asked me if I wanted to try the bass guitar in the orchestra). I have played the classical guitar ( music academy) for 6 years and got myself an electric guitar and a bass guitar (4 string). Now the songs I get to play are probably not that difficult, but they hardly have real bass guitar lines. The lines I get are mostly for tuba's, trombone or sax. So I also often get lines in G-key which I have to think in F-key. I find this all very difficult, there I do not have enough experience with bass guitar.
    We get to play thinks like a beatles medley, but also classical things like "Everest" (a song about a restaurant in Chicago). And I don't have real bass lines.
    Is there anybody who could help me finding the lines for a bass guitar for those songs? I would really apreciate it.
    Thank you!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think you are going to find bass lines for things like this (classical?) on the internet - although Beatles stuff ought to be relatively easy to find.

The thing to bear in mind though, is that while it might look as if there is a lot of Tab'd bass lines on the net - it's often fairly inaccurate and so is probably not going to be suitable for you to use in an orchestral context! :meh:

It's really meant to help people who have heard this stuff on recordings, know it well and just need a few pointers on tricky bits - they're not orchestral scores! ;)

I would suggest your best bet, is to try to transpose the bass lines you get from horn keys, to concert - maybe your father could help? Then just build on these...?

Otherwise - you are probably going to have to buy sheet music in books ....
  3. Allica

Feb 4, 2005
    thank you for the advise.
    I'll have to do the transposing myself (even though I have barely no experience). My parents know nothing about music. It's the father of my fiancee I was talking about. I could ask him, but I'm not sure if he can even read F-key. He plays trumpet.
    And yes, tabs for the beatles I can find anywhere, I just need to make them fit in the medley.
    It is not just classical music we play, it are classic songs.
    I don't even have a clue whether a bass guitar really fits into an orchestra or not. It's my first time, so i thought I would give it a go and see how far we get.

Thanks anyways for the help.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry - I meant to say Father in Law, as in your post - that was a typo!

So, as you say there are a lot of (inaccurate)Tabs of the Beatles and lots of music books out there - but the thing is that in most cases, what you get with these books, are not necessarily transcriptions of the basslines that were played - apart from one book I know of that aims to be that and is consequently quite expensive!

Usually you just get a piano part or guitar chords - very rarely, actual bass lines.

Generally - people make up their own bass lines using their knowledge of theory or transcribe themselves, from the recordings - that is - they play along with a record until they get it right!! ;)
  5. Allica

Feb 4, 2005
    I see.
    I already told them I need the melody line to try and get a bass line into it. I did learn something about that when I was in music academy.
    I'll just keep on searching. ;)
  6. snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    If you know the chords the guitars are playing (having played guitar yourself) just follow along with their chords to begin with. Generally, if you use any of the notes in the chords the guitars are playing in your bass line, it will fit in given the the beat and tempo, etc.

Feb 11, 2005
    get the bunny brunnel books,google the name they helped me on the transition from guitar to bass,allows you to keep most of your guitar knowledge and apply it to the bass!!

have a good 1
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: