basswood vs. poplar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretter, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Basswood

2. Poplar

3. Plywood

4. Particle board

5. Carrots

6. Broccoli

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nice! Whatcha building?

I just completed a basswood bass (Ha!). And I’m not happy how soft it is with a thin nitro finish. It is definitely thin but it sucked up A Lot of Shoreline Gold lacquer. Poly paint probably would have been better for durability because you look at it wrong and “SheeshamofoDamit”....A new ding! It was frustrating to paint. I kept finding new little dings. I felt like I was in a race to finish! I have to fix the back strap button because it’s stripping...

I’ve read that very light woods and good electronics are a good recipe. Maybe doesn’t color the electronics? She cuts through the mix nicely and with authority. So that’s kinda cool, but really not a good practical instrument wood for a working player IMHO.

8C684113-7285-4F98-B88B-A3387686037C.png

Just picked up a very nice poplar p body. Very slight green, purple or black and the builder nailed the grain pattern. Before I found it I planned on a solid black because of the poplar colorings but am considering butterscotch now.

C80F6ED3-E621-4E2F-ADDC-4458E5522A8C.png

I’m a big fan of string-thru bridges to improve a bass. Any bass. I’ve modified a few of my basses. A particular 2 were a 93’ EB MM Stingray (Ash not swamp ash) and a 2000 something Indonesian Basswood Squire P. All were equally dramatic upgrades. I mean completely different instruments (all of them). To my ears everything about the tone, sustain and volume were just waaaay better and louder! To my ears, better than a pick up upgrade. Kinda like having an amp with a lot headroom vs and under powered one. Just sounds better! Makes sense right. A more intimate sonic transfer of the strings thru the wood. My favorite string-thru furells are the Fender Japan 51 P Bass style. Looking for a modern version of them for this new bass build if anyone knows of a source, I would appreciate a contact. Thanks

All the best with your build,
    Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    fretter likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I'm not building anything.
    I just would choose Rainbow poplar over basswood.

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021