Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Meyekul, Jul 19, 2005.

1. What brand of batteries do you use in your active basses and effects pedals? I usually just get the cheapest brand and they last for several months with regular gigging and practicing. I don't use my active bass much at home, so with daily use it would surely drain faster. I don't know that the type of battery affects tone at all, but I see that some batteries are listed as "designed for digital cameras" or something else, so maybe there's more to it than I've experienced.

Any particular brands that people swear by? I'm thinking cost vs. life vs. performance (if applicable).
  2. The fancy expensive batteries work better for high power applications. Given that a bass preamp lasts for months at a time, I'd assume its low current, the cheap batteries, while not lasting as long, should work fine. Regular alkaline are all you need. Unless its important to you to get 6 months of life instead of 4 months.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I use special home-brewed, boutique batteries. They last a l'il bit longer, and they are kind of expensive, but wow.. the sound is transparent...

I avoid batteries in my effects, as they seem to suck down batteries faster than I can replace them. I looked into NiMH, and NiCAD, the problem is the 9volts aren't true 9 volt. They actually max out at about 8.5 volts, which means they last about 3 hours of actual use, before the voltage drops low enough that they need replacement.

I've been using Energizer Titaniums in my active Pre-amps.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    duracell pro-cells