1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Battle of the Bands

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TopBillinBass, Jun 7, 2012.

1. TopBillinBass

TopBillinBass

Jan 2, 2011
    Hey all,

Sort of new around here but I just got back from a quarter final elimination round of a local Battle of the Bands. Anybody have any stories they'd like to share from their Battle of the Bands experiences?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Good luck claiming any reward previously promised to you if you actually 'win'.

3. not to mention, all the tickets you sold you won't be getting any money for, and the fact that more often than not they're about as rigged as every other popularity contest.

4. TopBillinBass

TopBillinBass

Jan 2, 2011
    Yeah the firs two rounds seemed kinda rigged actually. You guys have any positive stories about this kinda stuff?? haha

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Battle of the Bands - it's a win, win. unfortunately both wins are for the club hosting this circle jerk. The bands pack the place so the club owner makes money; the club owner doesn't have to pay the bands so he makes more money - see; a win, win.

Despite my cynical attitude, if you are having fun, that's the main thing. Good luck!

6. On the positive side, it's a great way to meet other musicians, make contacts etc. you can also learn ( or perhaps steal ideas) from other bands, and compare yourself against them.

Don't be disappointed if you don't win, just be happy if you come away from the experience without having your leads stolen.

7. In these parts we know who will win, its always the guy on the radio who has a band, or the guy that works for the promoter, or the kid that works for the club and promoter. That must mean they are better musicians, songwriters, and performers than all the other bands. Or its the fact that their bands get the mass local press / radio play and chatter for two months leading up to the show. Rigged rigged and fixed!

But hey have fun and laugh at the winners, if you are the winners then laugh at the losers!

8. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Phosphor granites are not allowed, same goes for cluster bombs and of course nuclear weapon! :)

I've never attended something like this, I'm "too old" for such things. But as I've told my step-son, be yourself, look convincing and try to relax....

9. TopBillinBass

TopBillinBass

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately we were eliminated but some other bands there invited us to play with them at their next gig so it wasn't all bad!

10. Then you were the winners.....

11. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I've never liked them and try to avoid them, but sometimes that's almost impossible.

12. +1

I personally never participated or have the desire to participate in any "Battle of the Bands." They are generally those pay-to-play rackets that it is basically just the promoters looking to fill their pockets on your behalf and your hard work of promoting and selling a certain number of tickets and getting a certain number of people to show up just to allow you to play the gig. The prizes are hardly what they seem as well.

13. That is probably the best outcome you could've really had! Long term opportunities vs. short term "prize".

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I have played MANY battle of the band nights, most are giant frauds and a waste of time, but if you're a new band it is a great way to meet other bands to gig with.

They are not all rigged. We won one a few years ago, we were a stoner rock band who were new so we had no fans, and we were all anti-social so we only had maybe 10 friends there between the 4 of us for the finals. We were the obvious fan favourites since day 1 though, most people suck at putting on a show, that is where you embarrass them. We ended up winning $1500 in recording time at the biggest studio for 500 miles. The next years winners were also promised $1500 cash.... they never saw a cent of that.

If you want some good advice, use your 20 min set or whatever to your advantage, get up there rock hard, do not dilly-dawdle between songs, in fact bleed throughs and carry overs are your best weapon. The singer can say get the ef up or whatever between the note drone then kick into another song without stopping the last one. Audiences eat that spit up, for some reason people are always the most floored by melodies, it is also a good secret to success in cover bands.

EDIT: Well I left that window open WAY too long.... your already out, you made some friends. You win, be sure to talk to the bar management and try to get on opening for somebody at least.

15. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    We did one 2 weeks ago, had to pay for tickets we had to sell in order to be able to participate. We refused to pay in advance, which worked out well for us, no stress there (although apparently not all bands were as ballsy as us).

The sound was terrifyingly bad, as was the organisation, but we kicked ass. However, we didn't win because we KNEW the organiser. the other bands had noticed and it wouldn't have been fair, we came out third and got great reviews and critics.

The other band members were really dissapointed, I didnt care. I had loads of fun. I'd do it again any time! It is indeed fun to watch all those other bands.

16. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    I have played in four between two separate bands. We won the first round and then the whole battle got cancelled, though we did get a banner made for us out of the deal. The next one with the same band we advanced and were never told when the next round was (I am not in charge and would have been more thorough about making sure we knew when we played next) and were disqualified. We joined that same battle again this year and are waiting to play in the semi's in July. The worst experience I had was in my original band, the other battle's were cover band battles. For the original band battle we advanced out of the first round. They took 3 of six from each night. Our night we advanced along with a very solid high school christian rock band and a band of 14-15 year olds who showed up with stage lights and tons of merch. I click track played through the PA (or bounced off the walls coming out of the monitors) and could be heard the entire time. Mid way through their set their backing track skips and it becomes apparent they were lip synching and fake playing the whole time. This band made it to the finals.

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    there's an old, fairly funny list of "Things Bands Should Never Do" floating around the web that includes things like:

1- Don't talk between the songs...just shut up and play the next tune. People don't care about anything you have to say and they can't understand what you're saying anyway.
    2- Never wear a hat. No matter how cool the hat is it just makes you look stupid.
    3- Never enter a battle of the bands contest. It automatically makes you a bunch of losers.

etc.

I agree with the battle of the bands sentiment. And although I have been guilty of participating in them a few times over the years, every time I did I came away feeling like I'd completely wasted my time and swore I'd never to it again. The last one offered a "recording deal" to the winner. Turned out it was all a load of crap and the only participant that benefited from it was the venue that hosted it.

Never again. And this time I really mean it! :)

18. TopBillinBass

TopBillinBass

Jan 2, 2011
    This is great stuff guys. Unfortunately it sounds like Battle of the Bands experiences are mostly crappy with a few good experiences. Even though it's over it was awesome doing it and since we are fairly new to the scene it definitely helped get our name out there.

19. I've been in a few battles over the years, and the last one I was in one we hopped in our telephone booth time machine, went to the future and learned how to play, came back dawning beards like ZzTop and rocked San Demas high. And it was totally excellent.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

^
    SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!