BBE Acoustimax for electric bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Esquillama, Sep 19, 2005.

1. I've read what the BBE site says. Does anyone here have any
    experience with the Acoustimax as a preamp for electric bass?
    Any thoughts would be welcome.
  2. Is this too new for anyone to have tried it out yet?
    Is it EQ'd such that it wouldn't work well for bass guitar?
    Seems like a good alternative to a rack mount preamp.
  3. Bump on this topic that never got any answers.

The BBE Acoustimax looks like it could be a useful floor preamp/processor for bass..

4. cam1

Mar 4, 2005
    Can we get some thoughts here? I think of getting one of these instead of a bmax...
  5. Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I played for probably 20 minutes with it at the store, so my oservations probably are not all that reliable. It seemed rather clean/hifi-ish but fairly versatile (I LOVE parametric mids). Note that the whole time I didn't attempt to crank the gain, so I have no way to know if it can get warm and/or dirty. I played with a G&L tribute SB-2 with the Acoustimax going into the fx loop of an EBS combo FWIW.
  6. chrismoshier

Sep 18, 2008
    I'm an acoustic guitarist turned bassist. Been using the bmax to run direct to the board for a year (I'd always prefer a mic'd amp, but sound guys like DI).

I like the sound very much. It is clean, crisp but provides for a versatile sound. You can really give it a boomy sound or control the mids to cut through. I'm using an active jazz bass and it seems to not affect the coveted mwah sound.

It's not as much of a horrible, sterile sound as going totally direct but really doesn't have the tone that only an amp and speaker provide. I prefer the bmax over just about any bass amp direct out that I've tried.

It's all about preference, though, so don't take my word for it. Find local music shop where you can try it out. Hope this helps.
  7. Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    Is that designed for bass or geetar? EQ freqs?
  8. Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
  9. jfortune

Jul 5, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    I know this thread is super old but I thought I would give my opinion since I've been using the BBE Acoustimax for my bass for about 7 years. Bottom line, it fits me. I play a Carvin IC6P bass with the piezo pickup which has a very wide frequency range, super highs and super lows. This preamp really allows those to pass through nicely without distortion. This is one of the main selling points to me for this preamp. It's super clean. I can get a very flat frequency response if I want, boost the super low range or super high range by using the sonic maximizer settings or the usual low, med, high ranges. I don't use the notch settings at all as that is to help with acoustic guitar feedback.
    Another nice thing is it has a all of the connections you need.
    XLR out with gain attenuation and ground lift. - for sound to the mixer
    1/4" out (muted by the mute switch) - good for output to an amp
    1/4" out (not muted by the mute switch) - good for a tuner. I also use it to send to my headphone mixer so I can mute the live sound and still hear it myself to work on stuff without everybody else hearing.
    Bottom line, it does everything I need to do, super clean, quality sound, no bells and whistles that I don't want.
    Esquillama likes this.