1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BBE BMAX / BMAX-T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hullaballoo, Mar 17, 2009.

1. I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with both of the above, but i could do with some help if you are.
    My BBE packed up recently, and was eventually replaced by the shop with the -T version (I don't think they could find a replacement).
    You might think "score!", BUT I loved my old sound, and I'm wondering if the -T is supposed to be as different from the BBE as it is.
    Treble-wise it has abou1/3 of the ss version, bass is obviously warmer and much more prominent, I have to have the mids cut about 2/3, when I used to have them fully up (or it's just completely "woofy", I can barely hear a difference with the "bright" switch on or off, and I'm sure I remember a low-level fan noise from ther BBE, which isn't present on the -T.
    I know the tone-stack on these is odd, and now I've spent a bit of time mucking about with it, I can get some reasonable sounds out of it, but it's NOTHING like the old one, which I really loved, and I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps I've got a dodgy one (it is probably the floor model)
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    the "-T" means Tube. So one is a solid state, and the one you got back is a Tube amp. They should sound pretty different.

That is the extent of my knowledge with the amps heh

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Personally I absolutely loooved the Bmax-T while I had a rack rig. Warm, Punchy, Smooth... from the sounds of your comments all the things you don't want.

:-/

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    You definitely got a different product in replacement. The differences you describe between the two sound about right, as the T adds a tube section. If you don't like the T (which is, actually, a more expensive product), I think you should ask for a regular BMAX. They are still available, as far as I know.

5. Thanks for the replies - I did know the -T means "tube" - I was was just curious about them sounding SO different. I wouldn't have expected them to be so be quite so far apart. As for punchy, the new one is far less punchy than the old. Did the "bright" switch do much on yours? As i said before, i can hardly tell the difference with it on or off. On the ss model, you could slice tomatoes with the treble, but with the -T, there isn't much there really.
    I am familiar with valve rigs - that's virtually all we had in the early 70's, but I remember them having plenty of treble there if it was needed, as well as a warmer, slower, bottom end.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    The bright switch effects very high end treble from my memory. Normal fingerstyle type stuff I wouldn't hear much diffrence at all... slapping maybe.

The punchy comes entirely from the mids, and it depends entirely on your personal interpretation of punchy. I like lowmid/mid based punchy modern bass sounds and it fit my bill great for that, but I only played modern sounding 5-string basses through it.

7. Thanks - the bright switch on the BBE made a huge difference - you could hear it just in the background hiss. Ok thanks guys, I'll play with it some more - I'm already beginning to like it more, I'm just worried about getting buried in the mix, whereas before I could cut through anything. I'll find out soon enough I suppose!

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    You may know this also... but...

Treble - 2, Mid - 10, Bass - 2 is considered relatively "flat" for the Bmax-T. (That's dots on the dials left to right and not 2:00, 10:00 ) I'd suggest starting at this setting and adding bass and treble as you deem necessary. Having everything at 12:00 at their vertical 5 setting results in a scooped sound. Starting at that setting and adding treble should give you loads of treble as more than 75% of the knob is there for your using.

The Bright switch effects 10khz which is way high for bass.

Not sure if you have the manual or pdf... but it's here: http://www.bbesound.com/pdfs/BMAXT_manual.pdf

9. I have had 2 of the solid state and 2 of the Tube BBE Preamps and the bright switch doesnt work on the Tube versions I talked to BBE and while they wouldnt admit it there is a engineering issue on the Tube version.
    I found that the Tube was Better sounding than the SS nice and smooth but it had way to much mid scoop and didnt cut through the mix as well as the SS though.
    I sold the Tube and kept the Solid State as a Back up to my New Eden Navigator that is absolutly perfect for me.

10. I have a -T, and mine cuts through nicely without being too bright.
    It's one of those things where you'll want to sit down with it and twiddle the knobs for a while, til you figure out where your tone lies.
    I like to EQ the main mids control down to about 4 or 5, and boost the more narrow banded para-mid control up to get my growl.

11. Thanks for the help guys, and Fuzzboxvoodoo for confirming that my ears aren't playing tricks, or my unit not working properly. It's a very different beast from the BBE, and I'll see if it does the job. Or I may just get another BBE as well - I like the tubey bottom of the -T, but I might want a BBE for live stuff I think.
    Cheers all

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I owned both at the same time, ran them both through the same power amp/cabs.

Very different sounding preamps, IMHO.

13. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    I had the Solid State one and Now have The Tubed version. The Treble is a bit lower but IT is a lot warmer sounding. I like the tube one I compensated with the treble loss with adding more on my Ampeg SVT CL. Are you just running it through a power amp?

14. Yes - straight into a power amp. I've found that messing about with the maximiser can give it a bit more top end, but in general, it's not up to the ss version in terms of cutting power and "sharpness" if you like, but it does have a lovely tone. I'm just not sure about in the mix that's all