1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BBM or SC fuzz? Help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mingus Addict, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Ok so the question is, should I get a Bass Big Muff or a Supercollider? I have had a Black Russian muff for a while. I like it a lot but I just want something better. More low end, more versatility, knobs that don't get knocked around so easily, better build quality... I don't really have a clip of the sound I want. I like a lot of fuzz sounds, and ideally I'd love to have a bunch of different fuzz pedals. I can tell you that I'd like to have some pretty extreme fuzz I available.

Here is my normal set up. Warwick Corvette $$ 5 string (so its gotta sound good with a low B). This bass has active EQ which can be turned off with a push/pull pot. That usually goes into my Boss OC-2 and then into my Russian Muff. Sometimes there are effects after that but not too often for gigs. A lot of gigs I play are are minus the OC-2 and just a fuzz. Finally that goes in my SVT3 and my Ampeg 8x10 (I like the cab but really want a new amp.)

Based on that info maybe you guys who have used both pedals can help me decide. I'm really tempted to just jump on the SC before it goes up in price again. I really wish I could afford both pedals. Alas, there can be only one:crying:

2. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The SC is more versital from what I have seen and heard. But the BBM has a blend if your into that.

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i have never played the bbm, but the supercollider absolutely rips. it's awesome. it definitely destroys the nyc and russian muff...but that's just my opinion.

4. Thanks for the reply! I take it the MIM P Bass mentioned in your profile is the one you use the most? Have you tried your other bass' with the SC?

If people can comment on how the SC responds to different bass' in general that would be awesome!

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Grygrx at bassfuzz.com has recorded clips with 4 different basses, you checked those out? Also there is an 'oscillating beast version' out in October and I'm getting the first one! :p

6. Yes, bassfuzz.com helped me narrow it down to the SC and BBM. I think I'm just gonna go for the SC. I figure that right after I get it, it will go up $20 in price, and I'll at least be able to sell it for what I paid for it if I don't like it. I'm just really trying to save for an adrenalinn III as well so I guess I was hoping someone might talk me into going for the cheaper BBM instead. I guess right now my pedal purchasing plan is
    1. SC
    2. Adrenalinn
    3. BBM
    4. MORE!

So at the rate I've been going I should finally have that adrenalinn in early 2010:atoz:

7. i had them both, save your money and get the bass muff

when your playing live, no one will be able to tell the difference

8. anyone else agree with this?

9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Well, that is an extremely loaded comment. He is right, 99% (is that too low?) of people aren't going to know or care about the 'difference' between the two as long as it sounds cool. How far you can push the envelope created by that gap is up to you and your tastes, I would guess that even the pedal you have now would be 'close enough' for the average member of the listening audience.

If I was buying it for a country/world wide touring band, I'd be more likely to choose a pedal like the BBM because it is much easier to get a replacement if something should go awry, and not be learn and deal with something new mid-tour.

If I was buying for recording or a small 'band of passion', I'd get the one that made me happier sonically, regardless of the subtle sonic differences noticed by the everyman.

If I was super famous, I'd buy something really odd and say I was using it for song X and Y (but use something else instead) and make TB members try to find a 'golden one' like I have in a vain attempt to get my sound.

10. GingerConor

GingerConor

May 2, 2008
    Dublin
    ...and im getting the second.lol :bassist::bassist:

HIGH FIVE!!!!!!

11. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    I was thinking BBM meant big beautiful man or big black manaconda.

I can't figure out why everyone here like muff's so much you compromise so much bottom end!!!

Might as well be playing a gui****.

12. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Have you listened to the Bass Big Muff?

13. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Ya, wasn't all that impressed. Didn't sound real fat either.

14. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Not to discount you, but in dry mode... if it wasn't fat, then there is something else in your chain that is the weak link.

15. Well if anyone is interested, I went for it on the Supercollider on Tuesday just before the price increase. Hopefully it floats my boat. I still hope to grab a BBM and TZ2 at some point too.