1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BC Rich Bridge Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frizzle Fry, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry

May 13, 2014
    United States
    I have a BC Rich Heritage Classic Mockingbird that comes stock with the BC Rich locking bridge. This bridge is just revolting, I don't really see the need for a locking bridge, but whatever. A big problem is the fact that it doesn't have anything to hold it in place or adjust it easily when you go to adjust it, you just unscrew a screw and it's completely loose, you have to pick a spot by eyeing it up and hope for the best, it's just a hassle to get it to go where you want. Anyway, this isn't what bothers me, I can deal with all that, but it's the action. The saddles are completely bottomed out, but the action is waaaay too high. It's about 4 mm at the 12 fret, only that low after adjusting the neck.

I believe the problem is the neckthrough design; the fretboard is basically sitting on the body, so there's not very much room to work with, though I believe a replacement bridge could probably go lower, the saddles themselves are pretty damn tall. I figure I could sand them down, but the design is kinda weird here, as well. There are tiny saddles that you can adjust that sit in a square thingy.

It's basically identical to this: bb001.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Are there replacement bridges that might go lower? I'm considering just trying to get someone to sand the whole things down or maybe just trying to cut the smaller saddle parts down and cut a hole in front of the little cube things,

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hipshot A bridge it the ticket for you.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-a-style-bass-bridges.htm

I have little doubt that the stock bridge is very cheap - very common on off-shore instruments - the wood may be really good but it needs some good HW.

When I was a teen in the '70's, I had *serious* lust for one of these. I mean SERIOUS lust. Looking at pix of these now makes me want to buy one, offshore or otherwise! But I'd have to swap out all the bits - pickups, bridge and maybe even the tuners.

96tbird likes this.
  3. I would start by filing down the saddle grooves with care. Good news: if the saddles are "bottomed out," then if you file too deep, you can just raise the saddles. Time consuming, but easier and far less of a migraine than sourcing/installing a replacement bridge.\

EDIT: Or you can slap on a Hipshot A...

4. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry

May 13, 2014
    United States
    I was looking at the hipshots, but I don't have enough spare cash for something in that range. Really, the only problem I have with it is the bridge and it's pretty much impossible to fret 22-24 frets without lifting your hand up like you would on an acoustic guitar. The pickups sound excellent and the tuners haven't given me any problems whatsoever, the strings are about 5 years old and it stays in tune perfectly. I've checked out the guitar equivalent and the BDSM pickups in those sound amazing as well, I'm not sure what's different about them, but they're MUUUUCH better than the cheaper BC Rich pickups.

Sanding seems to be the answer at the moment, but sanding the whole damn block on all 4 of them seems like quite a job.

5. I'm confused -- are you talking about sanding the undersides of the saddles?

(And as far as BDSM pickups are concerned, you're on the wrong forum. ;))

6. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry

May 13, 2014
    United States
    Hmm, cheap, but I imagine it's probably the same

Yeah, the small saddles are already quite close to the bottom of the sliding parts they sit in, so all I can think of is sanding the bottom of those or sanding a hole into the block part and sanding down the saddle so that the string doesn't touch.

Also, I agree that BDSM pickups are pretty horrible, but these aren't the same, like the guitars, they have the same name, but the sound is muuuuch different. Maybe a bit high output for people that like clean jazz sounds, but I find that bass tone to be the most revolting tone of anything ever more often than not, sometimes it works, but ugh.

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I have one of those and it's ok. If you get one, chase the threads to clean burrs out. I got a height screw lodged in mine and stripped the socket. I had to turn it out with pliers and chased all threads with a tap. It's a pretty good bridge other than burrs in the thread cuts.

I did see a pic of one like that where the top load lugs had bent up from string tension :eek: I use mine string through body.

All in all I would still just say go Hipshot or other. 75 to 100 bucks isn't that big a deal if you intend on playing an instrument for decades.

Goy77 and Killed_by_Death like this.