1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BDPG advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mr.mow, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    So I got one of these yesterday. (Pink with the bandaged peen!), I wasn't quite sure what it was for and tried it last night at rehearsal on its own. Gave a little grind and fattened the tone a little.

But.. I also run a comp, overdrive and a fuzz.. Where's the best position for a bdpg? Start or end of the chain, I'm a bit puzzled by this one!

2. People like it at the end for the most part.

3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    End for me.

4. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Ah, so I shouldn't think of it as an overdrive kind of thing (which it seems to do nicely.. So it will play nice in theory with my other overdrive?

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    It's a dirty preamp, so end of the line or as close to it as you can. You can use it as an OD too though! Find where it fits for you :).

6. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Definately after your fuzz it adds bottom to fuzz and makes it just better :D

7. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Ta guys, it just made everything so incredibly fat or clanky at the touch of the dial, really impressed with it.

Looks like I'm pulling my board apart this arvo!!

8. Damn it, I want one of these.

9. So I'm going to jump on this a few weeks late. I was lucky enough to score a BDPG from OP - a red one with no picture that he picked up just before the pink one came his way. I only just got to give this a good run last night.

I used the pedal to get a phat reggae/dub style sound that breaks up when you dig in; it works a treat.

I've had to go a different way to make this work. At first, I naturally put the BDPG at the end of the chain, however I'm also trying out a compressor (MXR Bass Comp) for the first time and found that the compressor impedes my ability to push the pedal into overdrive.

Part of the compressor's job is to keep an envelope filter from peaking too much so the compressor has to be after that. I have a W&C PPB which gets the top end shaved off by the comp, but has no issues after the comp (would that be because the PPB is buffered?). The BDPG has no issues before the comp, but like I said, won't break up after the comp.

So chain is Bass > BDPG > Filter > Comp > W&C PPB > Amp. And it worked great for me.

Now I gotta find a position for a B3K\B7K...

10. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    I liked my b3k after the bdpg ymmv

11. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    How high is your compression ratio?

12. It was set at 4:1 (although possibly 8:1 as I was playing around with it) I'll play around with it some more and report back if anyone is interested.

Like I said, I had the BDPG set to break up when I really dug in on the strings, which also causes the compressor to fire up so it just wasn't letting my signal get into the BDPG as hot as it needed to.

I have a good friend who is a pro sound tech, also a great bass player. He's going to show me around the compressor a bit better in context with the chain I'll be running.

13. Good to know, I'm hell bent on getting one as soon as it they're back in stock locally.

14. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    For some reason running the bdpg before the b3k seemed to tame the 3 down some and i liked it that way