1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beatles or Stones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 11, 2013.

Beatles or Rolling Stones

Poll closed Apr 10, 2013.
  1. Beatles

242 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Rolling Stones

62 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Carrots

38 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Well after weighing in on the Sabbath vs. Led Zepp thread it made me wonder where people stand on this one...

My Vote is for the Beatles..

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I voted for the Beatles, because they had John Lennon, not to mention Paul, George and Ringo.

But you can't go wrong with either one.

Weren't the Stones the Beatles' favorite band?

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Without a doubt, The Beatles! :bassist:

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Actually, if your poll had been the Beatles vs ANY band, or any TEN bands, or possibly ALL the other bands, I might've STILL picked the Beatles.

Every time someone says the Beatles were "overrated," a tiny piece of our collective souls die.

5. both great - a tie IMO. The Stones could not have produced Revolver or Rubber Soul, but the Beatles could not have produced Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street.

6. ^ Yup, BOTH.

Different strokes.

7. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I voted for the Moptops, the Fab Four, the group whose drummer "has a hole in me pocket" (and blisters on his fingers), and whose bass player is the Walrus.

IMO, their level of musicianship and creativity trumps the Stones by a long shot, but that's just my humble opinion.

8. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Seriously, tough choice - blues vs pop. BUT, the Beatles set it up for all of us. Hard to find a most diverse bands ever, from the moment they arrived in '63 to the departure in '69. They covered it all: each album stands on its own merit totally different and unique. They're the only band I know of that took it all in 6 years. From the strip clubs in Germany to Knighthood.

The Stones followed the Beatles, Zep followed the Beatles, the Beach Boys followed the Beatles. They set it up for the world. Music will never ever see anything like it again.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Put Mick Jagger in the Beatles and he would be the 5th best vocalist just behind Ringo, and Mick would also be the worst dancer.

10. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    It's hard to pick and while I'm a serious blues head I'd have to say Beatles just because I can listen to their stuff more often without getting tired of it.

11. fixed it for ya...don't thank me...no charge

oh, and, of course...the Beatles...the stones WERE great (emphasis on the "were"), but the Beatles were the GREATEST.

every album a winner, every song a masterpiece....there will never be another Beatles.

"Deep in the jungle where the mighty tiger lies...Bill and his elephant were taken by surprise"

davesignatureII-1.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Both great in their own right. I picked the Beatles though because of their vocal variety. While John and Paul sang most of the leads, George sang quite a few, and even Ringo on occasion. Stones always had a great groove, but vocally it was pretty much "All Mick, all the time"...

13. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Well spoken, good sir!

14. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Both good bands, but I'd have to say the Beatles. If for nothing else, they seem to be more important in the history of music than the Stones were. However, I do enjoy a good Stones song.

15. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Both great bands but for me- not even close-actually no one is close to the Beatles

16. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I love Fred, Wilma, and Pebbles. :D

17. lucathakid

lucathakid

Apr 2, 2012
    The doors

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I think it was The Beach Boys....

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    More like Brian Wilson.
    ;)

Yeah, I was gonna say...if anything, The Stones were Beatle fanboyz. ;)
    Jagger & Jones used to hang out with them, right?

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I obviously love my Beatles but I'm so glad for the Stones for being the anti-Beatles band and really pushing the Beatles and pushing Rock & Roll to hard edge glory in my opinion the two best bands of that era.