1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

becomes a member today!! Ampeg v4b question please

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by bouncy, Sep 25, 2017.

1. bouncy

bouncy

Sep 25, 2017
    Hi guys, just join the forum. 56, always love the sound of bass guitar, being inspired by so many young players, I start playing few months ago. no big dream, just for fun.

I have a J bass and a P bass, bought a traynor yba-4 tube amp two months ago, it was a actually a yba 1 with 15" bass combo, it doesn't give me the tone I am looking for. Over the weekend, I bought a minty 1974 ampeg V4b with a V6-B cab from a 71 yrs musician locally. It is definitely over my budget, at the end, I bought it. The decision is partly based on what I have read in this forum. I tried it briefly at that guy's basement with his P bass, I instantly fell in love with that sound.

The amp already had f & t cap installed a year ago plus a new set of the power tubes, it is JJ 6L6, not 7027a, the owner told me the JJ 6l6 will do the job well, my question is should I switch back to 7027a? Amp sounded fine, I am not after the volume, just for the tight warm bass sound. what is your thought? Cheers.

2. Looks like GAS is developing. I've been retired since 2000 and have to play with what I've got. My hobby budget does not stretch into tone.....;) So can not help you with that.

Welcome.