1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Been playing tuba for some years

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Jostein, Apr 14, 2006.

1. ... then decided it was time to pick up the electric bass guitar again.

Decided to respond to your friendly invitation on the front page, so here it comes:

I come from the town Bodoe in northern Norway.

I played bass in a couple of bands in 1986-1990. Meanwhile I've been playing tuba in brass bands but decided to make the switch back to bass guitar in 2004. Mostly because I wanted to play music where you are less dependent on notes and a conductor. And also because in the brass band I would be one of five tuba players. Which meant that if I played better or worse than the last time, nobody would really notice. Now if I skip a note, everybody knows. :)

When I decided to start playing bass again, I realized that I needed some new equipment. So I started browsing forums on the Internet :ninja: , including this one, as I didn't have a clue about what equipment was needed (how big amp? Is it wise to switch to five string? what brands to look for?).

Now I've got myself a used Alembic 5 string, that I got for a reasonable price from a professional bass player and an SWR Workingman's 15 that I bought new. And my good old Tokai Hard Puncher is being rebuilt into a fretless by switching to a Warmoth neck.

And I'm now playing in a band called "Trygves Hoff", which is a tribute band to the singer / song writer Trygve Hoff who passed away in 1987. Have a look at our web site www.trygveshoff.net. It's in norwegian but if you look under "Bilder", you can see some pictures from our concerts. It might be interesting to know that the pictures on the bottom of the page were taken at night. We're north of the arctic circle, so it doesn't get dark in the summer. B-)

Best regards
    Jostein