Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beethoven 7 fingering help movement 4 bar 368

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by edvon, Feb 24, 2006.

1. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Beethoven 7th fingering help movement 4 bar 368 and 372,

Hi all,
    what fingering would you guys use here, crossing strings or all on the g?
    Won't see my teacher for a few weeks so your input is appreciated.
    thanks, Ed

2. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    I don't have the measures counted but I think you mean meas 9 and 13 after I? then it's B4 (d string) , C#1 (G string - open hand), E4, D2, etc. staying with the open hand tech. until meas. 15 where you continue down the G - closed hand (Simandl, etc). Good example of why you mix techniques to make a passage easy.
    Tom Gale

3. edvon

edvon

Apr 4, 2004
    Australia
    Hi Tom, thanks for your input.
    yes, this is the passage I am talking about. Your suggestion is a good way of playing this passage, less portamento. I believe this is what my teacher would call pivoting, (same as open hand?)

Ed

4. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    Either title gets the same result. Opening the left hand to a minor third can be a large problem IF the player locks all the fingers in place. Bad. I like to describe it as my "rock and roll" technique as that's what the left hand does to avoid the dreaded lock. Pivoting accomplishes the same idea. In my books, I use the term "open hand" and "closed hand" to separate the two techniques. And my little poem;
    "Don't block and lock...
    Just rock and roll!"
    Tom Gale