Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by redmang, Apr 23, 2004.

1. redmang

redmang

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm just starting to learn bass guitar, and I'm wondering, what amp would be good for someone just starting out like me who needs something to practice with? I'm looking for something cheap, say, under $150? I'm expecting nothing spectacular. I've heard that used Peavey amps do the job nicely. Which ones should I look for in particular?

2. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    If you only use it at home the Peavey Microbass is an great amp. Good tone (for that price) and the peaveys last nearly forever.

If you plann to play togheter with a band, youl'll need something bigger. I bought an old Peavey TNT 130 when i started with bass playing and that one did the job. The TKO (80 watts i think) is also a good choice if your band isn't to loud.

If you go higher up in price, the Ampeg combos are very good.

3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    You might also want to consider a Tascam CD-BT1. It is a CD player with bass headphone amp. The CD player has some special features, pitch/key change, slow down, bass boost/cut.
    The headphone amp has an EQ and some effects.

Since I got mine I no longer use my practice amp at home.
    It allows me to practice anytime, including when others are asleep and I can mix in CDs for learning off an album.