Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beginner Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Z3phyr, May 29, 2005.

1. Z3phyr

Z3phyr

May 29, 2005
    Yeah, so, I'm a guitar player that is interested in learning how to play a bass.

Lately I've been addicted to the heavier sound of the base, and really want to make the switch from guitar to bass.

I play rock/punk usually.

Anyway, on with the point. I am interested in purchasing a bass, but confess that I know NOTHING about which brands are good.

My budgest is pretty low, because this will be my first bass and have many other monetary obligations to worry about. I need some sort of a beginner bass, but one that won't fall apart soon and has a decent sound.

From experience, I know that Fender makes good guitars, so I am somewhat biased towards that brand, but I dont know anything about Fender basses.

Bascially, I just need a few examples of cheap basses, and what makes them decent. Oh, BTW the kind I want to play is the basic four string fretted bass.

Thanks to all that lend assistance to this guitarist turned bassist.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You and Gard need to learn how to spell "bass."

3. Z3phyr

Z3phyr

May 29, 2005
    I misspelled it once, I apologize.

Thanks for the generous help.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hozabout a little more info on your budget...Fender makes some fine basses, but for real cheap intro level stuff I'd avoid their low end. Around here, people seem to like Essex (SX) for hardy, inexpensive basses. Check out their 'megathread' here. Their low end starts around 80 bucks...for something that's pretty decent.

5. If you want a decent bass that's built well and is inexpensive and sounds good to for a good price, I don't think you can go wrong with a Yamaha.

I've been playing bass for 15 years and just bought a cheapo used RBX170 at a great price, and LOVE IT!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The SX basses are very good values for the price. I have a $99 P bass copy, and it kicks butt for the price. And this is coming from a guy that owns 13 basses, including a couple over $2500.

The MIM(made in Mexico) Fenders are good too, but they start out around $350.

What is your budget?

7. embellisher

Oh, and I fixed the thread title for you.;)

8. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    yeah ...mexican fenders don't sound good to me...the american ones are great but they cost around $1000

i don't really know of a cheap bass that sounds good...you could by a mexican fender and change the pickups in it to the american ones

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Regarding the MIM Fenders: I own an 1990 MIM Fender Jazz. I spend 40 bucks on used Fender American pickups and the bass sounds real sweet now. If you want to spend even less, I have heard sound clips of an SX Precision and was amazed at what a hundred dollar bass could do.

10. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    you should go take a trip to your local pawn shops... that's where i got my first bass ( 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II ) for about $90... it still serves me well.

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

+1

Own one of them as well (RB630) and love it.

12. Z3phyr

Z3phyr

May 29, 2005
    Thanks for the help I'm getting.

To be a little bit more specific about my budget, I would like to spend under $150 US on the bass, but at the most wouldn't want to go above $199. Exactly how much I would spend would come down to which bass I think seems best for its low cost.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You know, you're gonna need an amp too.

For that kind of money, I'm sticking with my suggestion of Essex.

I would stay away from the Squire line and anything else in the under 150 price range is garbage.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey, no charge, man!

I'd go with Fender. Not Squier, but play a bunch of Mexican P-basses and pick the one that feels/sounds best to you. I don't care for P-basses (I have 4 J-basses), but that probably will fit your style better. You might want to try an Active P-bass Special (Mexican) to get two pickups for more versatility. The American P Deluxe is the best sounding P I've ever played (and I've played a lot, and owned two). Here's a pic of the Active P-bass Special:

[​IMG]

15. embellisher

I agree 100%. Unless you find a killer used deal locally, get an SX. They are the only $150 bass that I would own. They are much better than a Squier.

16. Z3phyr

Z3phyr

May 29, 2005
    I already have a few amps, because as I said I used to play guitar, so that would eliminate some of what I would need to purchase.

The Essex sounds good as a lot of you seemed to agree that it is a good cheap bass.

I'll look into that and some of the other suggestions.

17. embellisher

Be careful playing bass through a guitar cabinet or combo. At anything other than bedroom practice volume, bass will destroy the drivers. They are not designed for the frequencies that the bass produces.

18. A brand new Yamaha RBX170 will run you about $170 (I paid $AU 170 for a used one, which is a bargain here in Australia).
    I tweaked the action and intonation last night and it plays very nicely, and the P-bass tone on it is fat and sweet, the jazz pup isn't the greatest, but is still quite usuable.

For the price, there is no way I can fault this bass.

19. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Look at the ESP B-50.