1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

beginner combo amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yogen, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    I'm about to buy my first bass, could be a used Schecter c-4 or an IBanez gsr 205 and I'm gonna need a budget como amp.
    I'm looking to spend between 100-$200, if possible with gain control, not looking for a fantastic distorsion, but a decent amount of it.
    I'd play at home most of the time, but probably also jam with 2 other guitarist friends, so I don't need something powerful, but I don't want to be overpowered by the guitars, their gear is not too loud anyways, still beginner-intermediate gear.

What do you think of the Vox pathfinder 10 bass? I've had one for guitar for 3 years and until a while ago it sounded great, now it sounds kind of strange, maybe the speaker couldn't handle the distorsion from the pedal?

I don't know of any other, that's why I need help. If you can't recommend, could you tell me which brands or models to stay away from?

2. GC is blowing out the Acoustic stuff, buy as big of a combo as you can, then stick an OD pedal in front of it.

3. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    Forgot to add, I live in Mexico, sales are very rare here, perhaps just one a year in the biggest music store, but I'll keep an eye out for an acoustic amp, they seem to be fairly recommended here, although I don't recall seeing an acoustic amp at the stores here, but I never checked out bass amps until now.

what you think of a Laney RB1?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Look for something with a 12 or 15 inch speaker, and anywhere from 50 to 100 watts. Used gear is a better value, but the little Pathfinder will NOT keep up with a guitar.

5. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Pathfinder is fine as a bedroom practice amp. But it is pretty low on bass as far as bass amps go. It's probably a better guitar amp than a bass amp.
    An Ampeg BA108 or BA110 would be a big step up from the Vox and both would be well within your budget.

6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Look at 'cheapo' or budget stuff. It mightn't last forever (or sound amazing) but It'll allow you to get fairly loud for the money. I got a 110W combo as my first amp. About €140 and that's not exceptional... If you can compare some prices online and check out the used market you might be able to get a deal, without having to weight for a store to have a sale.

I'd look for a well reviewed amp, and get a separate distortion pedal. You can get them in the bass amp, but It's probably not going to be as good as even a budget pedal, as the whole combo will be a fairly budget design.

I'm not recommending you get something crummy, but It's better to sound OK and be heard than sound great but get buried by the guitarists. You should be ok on your budget. :hyper:

Ohhh: I found a site... not sure about delivery details, but it should give you some Ideas!
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bass-Amplifiers-Amplifiers,100-200,New-Gear.gc

7. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    so a no distorsion amp is better than an included distorsion amp of the same price?

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Sorry, I should have made that two sentences.

I think the distortion or other effects that are built into cheaper combos are not great. My cheap combo had a chorus & delay effect, but they stopped working after a couple of weeks.

Far easier, in my opinion, to pick an amp based on the performance (and size and weight) and add a distortion or overdrive pedal after. You can get ok pedals for cheap (at least as good as the one's included in budget amps), and upgrade later if you like :smug:

That would be my approach. I don't think it's super important. I'd just want it to be fairly loud, reliable and light enough to carry :hyper:.

Good luck. If you have a particular idea, you can search for reviews here or all over the internet... it's not easy for a company to sell dodgy electrical goods and get good reviews these days. Good news for us bassists :D