Beginner(ish) Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reapocalypse, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Reapocalypse

Reapocalypse

Nov 7, 2011
    I have been playing bass for a couple years so I am not really a beginner but I'm not amazing and I don't have a lot of money. I need a Bass Guitar. I don't really want a bass with active pick-ups but I don't mind all that much, I need it to be fairly inexpensive (please-no Squiers), and I want to play Rock and I want it to have a nice slap sound. A nice booming tone would be nice to. Does anyone have some recommendations? Just remember that I want it to be as basic as possible without being a sub-par bass with no quality.

2. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    You say no Squiers, but I think you may not be giving them enough credit. Most people seem to think, and myself included, that the Vintage Modified series and the Classic Vibe series rival some of the Fenders in quality. People also seem to really like the Jaguars.

Look into Epiphone and Ibanez. Personally I am a fan of Epiphone, the EB-3s and Thunderbirds are pretty cool.

3. Reapocalypse

Reapocalypse

Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks, I might look into the Squiers but last I looked I couldn't find much good about them but I will look again. I am also seriously considered the Thunderbird (Epi) and their Les Paul Special.

4. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    Most of the negative Squier reviews will be of the affinity models, the Vintage Modified & Classic Vibe models are generally as good as the mexican fenders in my experience.

5. BLACK6565

BLACK6565

Oct 17, 2011
    Check out the Dean Metalman 2A basses, man I got the demonator and am totally in love with it!! and it was under $200 bux (I did get a good deal thou) I believe they retail about $299 .

6. SMaubass

SMaubass

Aug 19, 2011
    It's pretty tough not to beat some squiers, especially the classic vibes (in that price range, at least), but I will say that the epiphone thunderbird was one of the coolest looking and good sounding basses I've played, but it's nut width of 1.7x (I think its like 1.73 or something) makes the neck slower than some, but thats based on opinion and hand-size :p

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Well probably for the kind of sound you're looking for a jazz bass will fit great, you can think also about some good japanese series, maybe used on the net you can find good deals.
    Cheers. Enrico
    YouTube
    WebSite

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Really? This place is a Squier love fest...especially the VM and CV series.

I've played a few CV series myself, they are really nice for the cash.

9. older US peavey stuff has always served me well. I enjoy it very much and it can be had for cheap. I can never get a good slap tone out of my Foundation, however i think it is more to do with me than the bass. I no good at de slap lol

10. Reapocalypse

Reapocalypse

Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I think I'll look into a Squier Jaguar, Epiphone Thunderbird IV,or Epiphone Les Paul Special.:bassist:

11. segaloco

segaloco

Oct 12, 2011
    Well for a good slap tone I'd go with a medium (not too high, not too low) action and fresh round-wound strings. That's what I have on my G-3 and it sounds heavenly. As for the instrument itself, just go with whatever sounds good to you in the music store, it's ultimately how you string it and how you play it, so honestly clearer is better when it comes to pickups and if you can get something where the strings go through the body, better yet, adds some nice creamyness to the tone.

Edit: And don't be turned off by Squier, I mean, check out the Mike Dirnt Signature model from them, I think it sounds awesome!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021