1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beginner looking for some heavy metal songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CoachEvan, Dec 16, 2017.

1. CoachEvan

CoachEvan

Nov 5, 2017
    Tl;dr: what are some good, fun entry-level heavy metal songs that would help me get better acquainted with the genre and technique?

So three months ago, at 42, I impulsively bought a guitar and then a week later got a bass. Been playng the bass every day since. The bug has bitten; I’m in love. I immediately stared weekly lessons and joined a mixed-ability adult band through a well-known chain of rock schools. I’m by far the newest player, yet I held my own at my first ever gig this past weekend (Whole Lotta Love, Houses of the Holy, and Rock and Roll). Technique-wise, I prefer a single-finger style like Tim C., yet I’ll use a pick when needed (like for the double string octave hits on Whole Lotta Love).

Next season (February), we shift from Zeppelin to Heavy Metal. I don’t know which specific songs yet. In the meantime, what would be some good metal songs to mess around with? I can name a bunch of metal bands, yet I’m not as familiar with the genre as I am with some others. I’m looking for songs that are more interesting than a string of repeated notes on the E string, yet not quite Cannibal Corpse level of insanity. Bonus points if they’re meant to be played fingerstyle.

Thanks in advance!

2. dtiii

dtiii

Apr 22, 2009
    nyc
    Here are two that every metalhead should know. They may prompt the 'good God not these again' eye roll from some, but they are indeed classic from two classic metal bands.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Breaking the Law - Judas Priest

These are great entry-level tunes as they offer the opportunity to develop your two-finger technique and stamina by having to maintain steady eighth-note patterns at faster tempos.

Have fun! \m/

swooch and CoachEvan like this.
  3. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Faith No More, Incubus (the SCIENCE album only), Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves,
    first Korn album, Death, Mudvayne....
    I feel like those will show a pretty nice variety of what the bass guitar can do across the flavors of metal.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    CoachEvan likes this.
  4. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    btw... fingers...slap...pick.... its worth getting good with all of them. I use a pick in one of my bands because it gives an awesome attack and tone that cuts through out mix really well. I

dtiii and CoachEvan like this.
  5. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    What kind of heavy metal are you going to be playing? With lots of different subgenres, there's lots of different styles.

6. Seconding Sabbath and Maiden. Right now I'm working on Cliff Burton-era Metallica, which is WAY challenging but will help you improve. Alex Webster's book might also be of use if you have a 5 string. I'm also currently digging on Type O Negative. Simple lines but frequently picked really fast. Good for timing.

*Edit* There are some differences between sub-genres, so that info would help. But if you play different than the genre standard then you're just experimental and breaking new ground.

CoachEvan likes this.
  7. CoachEvan

CoachEvan

Nov 5, 2017
    Thanks for the tips!

The band leader is being cagey about the sub-genre and setlist until we get through our current season, so I think I’m going to stick with what I like: Metallica, Maiden, Sabbath, and Megadeath. Now to get my middle and ring fingers working...

DarkAvianFind likes this.
  8. csc2048b

csc2048b

Apr 4, 2010
    philippines
    here are the bassists who performed on classic tracks like 'barbie girl', 'girl you know it's true', 'oops - i did it again' and other top hits from lady gago and justin bleaker:

throughout the 90s i learned 80% of all ozzy sabbath albums (some dio too) - please don't kill me for my weird sense of humor.

9. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Black Sabbath _ iron man
    Metallica _nothing else matter
    Ossy _ crazy train
    Metallic _ smoke on the water