Beginner Questions!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cryptic, Nov 7, 2004.

1. cryptic

Nov 6, 2004
    Hello everyone! I want to start playing bass, and have a few questions ever beginner has. I already play flute, so I know how to read music, but is bass clef different then treble clef? Also what bass would be good? I don't how far I will take this, so I dont need anything overly fancy. Im also on a tight budget, so money is a concern. What are some really good instuction books/cds/dvds? I dont know of any teachers in my area yet, but I'm pretty positive there are some out there. Thanks for helping me out!
  2. Uh, yes, bass clef is indeed different than treble clef. Where the D is on treble clef is where the F would be in bass clef, so it's just transposed.

I've been learning bass without a single book or lesson. I mostly listen to music by Victor Wooten or Jaco Pastorius and then learn to play it and stuff. I know all my theory from playing piano.
  3. for cheapie books "bass guitar for dummies" is, believe it or not, very good. I picked that one up for $9 at a discount book store. I also really like the jamie abersold series of books. Another great learning tool is "band in a box," probably best to start using after you have at least a few months practice. It wont "teach" you directly but will give you practice with a psuedo band. They have a 2-3 month free demo as well.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Remember when you budget to buy a bass, you will need to buy a speaker- amp combo, cable, and a strap. You should probably buy at least one extra package of strings.

I won't recommend any particular bass. You might do well to go to our "Basses" forum where there is ample discussion of various basses. You will need to decide whether you want to begin on a four-string bass or jump right to five string. There have many discussions of the merits of either choice here also. Generally speaking, but not always, five string basses are heavier and have a wider fretboard.

Don't forget that you may be able to pick up a pretty decent used bass and speaker-amp, rather than paying full price for new.

There are many serviceable books on the fundamentals of bass playing. I believe that ones with CDs included are most helpful because you can hear the examples, especially helpful for timing.

Yes, as mentioned above the bass clef is different than the treble clef and you will need to adapt to the new note names for what you are used to in treble positions.

Good luck in your new plans to take up bass playing. I hope the instrument brings you as much pleasure as it has brought me.