1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer BDI 21

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Theabyssbass, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Is this thing any good? All reviews say yes, but nobody wants to admit they just picked up some junk.

Thanks
    The Abyss Bass

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    for the $$ it really can't be beat. It's plastic so don't step on it too hard. Sounds very similar to a sansamp. I use one in my effects loop of my 1001RB-II with great results although I think I'm going to start using a real tube pre but not because I'm disappointed with the BDI...just want to hear if there is a big difference between the BDI tube emulation and real tube preamp.

3. It's pretty good. For the money and what it does, 30 bucks.

4. runwfo

runwfo

Jul 20, 2008
    I bought one 4-5 months ago to boost the signal of my passive basses when playing direct to the board. As far as I'm concerned it can't be beat for the money. I have never A/B'd it against the real Sansamp, but it gives me alot of tonal control. I probably have 20+ hours live playing time on it and the only problems I've had are a loud pop when plugging and unplugging (to not drain battery between sets) and I had to mark the knobs with white out to be able to easily see the settings while standing.

5. DaveLS

DaveLS

Sep 5, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I kept one in my gig bag for a DI in case of emergency. When I needed it one day, it wouldn't work. It was dead. With or without battery, on or off, it would not pass a signal.

I called Behringer and they gave me a RMA number a couple weeks ago. I paid for shipping to them, and they said they'd send me a new one. They said it could take up to 5 weeks so I'm still waiting.

6. I bought one several months ago and use it regularly. Not built like a tank, but with a little care it will last quite a while. Sounds good, warms up the tone nicely. An external power supply is money well spent, since it does go through batteries.

7. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Mine is several years old now and still works like a charm every time I need it. I still use it exclusively when recording.

8. BryanSwift

BryanSwift

Jun 21, 2008
    SE MI
    I got one on here for $20 off the truck... Postal truck that is... :) I recommend it...

9. I have had both. It's a good cheap "it'll do 'til the real thing comes along" alternative but if you can afford a real Bass Driver DI at all, get the SansAmp.

10. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    is a pre with some tube emu, is cheap and a life saver, I have mine for some months and never have a problem,

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I consider it essential in my effects loop to warm up my GK 1001RB-II. Probably the best $30.00 I've ever spent.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I haven't had one, but I do have a Behringer tuner that I've used regularly for about a year. Last few times I used it my volume dropped during the gig; it has something to do with the input jack. Anyway, it was cheap, so no biggie, but expect the jacks to give out way before a better made pedal's jacks would.

13. Li Youwei

Li Youwei

May 4, 2008
    I found that the BDI21 and the Sansamp don't really have enough output to work as a proper driver, but as a DI the Behringer is nice. I only use it to add a little warmth to the sound. Only problem for me is the lack of phantom power.

14. Everything Behringer I've ever owned has been a complete disappointment....with the exception of the BDI21. Best bang-for-the-buck ratio in my rig.

15. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    The BDI-21 is easily the best $30 I have ever spent. But, take a look at the ADI-21. Supposedly the same with the addition of a mid frequency selector and a mid level control. Same price. I absolutely swear by mine. As posted above, it will NOT drive a power amp (but nor will a Bass Driver that's 6x the cost). You will not regret buying one.

16. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    In all fairness, is this relative? Sorry, don't want to come off snobby, but OP's asking about a BDI-21, not a tuner.
    Only reason I posted is that I am very passionate about this specific pedal.
    All brands make different qualities and levels of gear - you're going to get a lemon here and there. But at least let's compare apples-to-apples.
    Please don't take offense - I am not trying to be a jerk.

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    +1

I have the BDI-21 and it sounds very good, but IMO, it scoops your sound. Having a mid control would be really handy, so check out the ADI-21 which is supposed to be for guitars.

18. The BDI-21 is a clone of the sansamp bddi. The ADI-21 is a clone of the sansamp acoustic di. Not the same circuit, but similar, and yes it has a mid control.

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My guess is Behringer uses the same input jacks on all their pedals, so yes it's relevant. You can be as passionate as you like, but that doesn't change my experience one iota. I've had problems with 2 of the 4 Behringer guitar amps I've used too (V-Tone series), but I felt that wasn't relevant, so I didn't mention it until now, as a rebuttal to your 'lemon' theory.

20. BryanSwift

BryanSwift

Jun 21, 2008
    SE MI
    Is this going to be another one of "those" threads? :rollno: