1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Behringer DI between amp and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pellotsalo, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Pellotsalo

Pellotsalo

Apr 28, 2008
    Hey!

What do you think, will I blow up something if I connect Behringer Ultra DI100 into Orange ad 200 speaker output. Behringer manuals says you can plug your bass amp's speaker output into the DI, which can handle ratings of up to 3,000 Watts!
    I don't mind if I blow up the DI, but the Orange ad 200 I do.

Thanks.

2. usually you would plug your bass in to the DI, run a 'link' cable from the DI to your amp, then run a lead from the DI to the mixing desk

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Read the manual, it doesn't sound like it can be used "in line" like that. That amp has multiple speaker outputs, right? Leave the cab connected to the amp as it normally is, then use another cable from another speaker output to the DI's input. The DI doesn't give any load to the amp so you don't need to change the impedance (ohms) settings. Because the DI box doesn't load the amp, it's also fine to use an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable to connect the DI to the amp speaker output.

The Behringer manual doesn't explain it very well, but it does say to use an extra speaker output. The bit about being able to handle ratings up to 3,000 watts means the DI can handle the voltage of a 3,000 watt audio signal, when it's connected in parallel to a speaker cabinet. It doesn't sound like one is supposed run a 3000 watt audio signal through it though. Don't connect a speaker to the "link" jack on the DI.

That works but just sends the "dry" bass signal to the mixer. He spent big bucks on a all-tube bass amp and wants to have his tube amp sound sent to the mixer, this will do that.

4. It depends on how the speaker outs are wired on the AD200. In some amps plugging something into the ext speaker out activates a different tap in the transformer. Then you end up with an 8 ohm load but the amp is looking for 4. Does the DI have a thru? If so then you can connect it between the amp and cab. Make sure to use speaker cables as well.

You could also connect it to the parallel out on your cab if it has one.

5. Hi.

I have tried DI100 between my Fame BVH300 and the cab.
    IOW in series.

No problems, but the tone wasn't all that good.

Personally I wouldn't necessarily advice to plug anything other than a known good cab or industry standard DI into a tube amps output, if something goes wrong, the damage can be pretty expensive.

IME/IMHO only obviously.

Regards
    Sam

6. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I have the Behringer GI100 model and I run it between my 100w tube amp and the cab. As long as both the cab and the amp are hooked up properly to the box, everything works just fine. The GI100 has a speaker sim that works nicely. There are also dual pad's to bring the levels down as needed.

My guitarist borrowed my box one rehearsal to try and he went out and bought one that week. I'd rather mic for recording, but for live sound or just capturing ideas in the rehearsal space, you get your amp's tone without having to mess with finding the right mic/position/etc.

7. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    SVT -> Box -> Palmer-DI

There isn't any sort of reason to tell that it's not a good idea doing it like that.

That's a very good practice if you want to send the tube colored sound to FOH.
    Whereas some folks spend a lot of money for a tube driven DI.
    But doing it like above is the cheapest method to get a colored tube driven DI.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have one of those Behringer DI boxes, and it's actually not too bad... I've used it for a speaker level DI, and it worked OK - not as good as a JDI or Countryman, but serviceable...

Personally, I would prefer to run it off of a 2nd speaker jack on the cab, rather than have it in between the amp and cab - it's a safer bet that way... If your cab doesn't have two jacks, it's not hard to install a 2nd one... Truthfully, buying a used JDI or Countryman for $100 or so is a better long term solution, if you can swing it - they come up in the TB classifieds from time to time...

- georgestrings

9. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    There is no need to spend additional money for a active driven DI, like the Behringer.
    A good quality passive DI like Palmer Pan 01 works very well for those purposes.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Those Behringers are pretty cheap - I think I only paid around $30 for mine... Although an active DI isn't necessary for speaker level sends, it certainly doesn't hurt - as long as the DI is designed to handle it, like this particular Behringer, or a Countryman are...

- georgestrings

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I personally would rather have an active DI for speaker level. Don't ask me why, though ;)