1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Behringer Face Off

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Jun 16, 2007.

1. Behringer Ultrabass BX1800 Bass Combo 180W

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Behringer Refurbished BX1200 Ultrabass 120W 1x12 Combo

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Why Behringer?

2. ...basicly cause i need something over 100W and those are some of the cheaper things i can find..im still browsing CL for used amps but not much luck

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Get a used Peavey of some sort. You'll be much happier.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'd browse the TB classifieds for a used combo. There are great deals to be found here on TB.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I also vote for "used Peavey".

For the same money, you'll get better sound, better reliability, and you can later sell it for what you paid for it.

The same can't be said for those two Behringer's.

6. just to warn you, now i'm not putting you off behringer cause it can be usefull for the money but behringer sometimes sort of 'big up what they say the watts are, i used thier 300 watt head and a 15 inch speaker both behringer and then used my 150 watt amp with a different 12 inch speaker and it was much better than the behringer.

also for the size they are i find the behringer gear is VERY heavy.

but if its what you want, get the BX1800.

seriously, dont get put off what people say about behringer as they do make some good stuff, just depends what you get.

7. #1. sounds Bad (b)ass

played through one once at a show and it is the shizz nizz

8. As i have the BX1200, i have to side with that. for the ~$200 those amps will both cost, I'd check for a used peavey TNT combo, even 80 watts will be able to cut better than the berh

9. there is a used Peavy TNT 80W combo i have never played w/ it up all the way to see how loud it gets but i thought it was pretty loud you think i should get it??

10. sure, if its in your price range.

Don't get me wrong, i hold no grudge against behr, but my ultrabass had a short lifespan. I did just about everything I could do to abuse the thing though (used as a PA, keyboard amp, bass amp, guitar amp, vocal monitor, bass drum amp) and it performed, but now it's totally trashed. Peaveys don't break. Simple as that. I remember using a Peavey TNT combo with a 15" when I first played in a band. It cut through better than the behr did, although niether will cut nearly as well as a solid, ~$500 ish rig (Metal, one guitarist and one LOUD drummer)

If you have an amp to use now, sucky or not, I would advise saving up and getting a real powerful combo (markbass and SWR come to mind) a little while down the road and get something in the 250 watt range, you'll be much, MUCH happier with the results!

11. Personally, I think uncle is a behringer mole :). I would never say behringer is the best sound for any application, although it is definetly enough. If you want the real deal, get the amp that the behr copied.

12. im a musician which means im broke and when you are broke and need gear behringer is a good lookin brand. I personally like their gear weather or not they reverse engineered it or not or what ever you choose to believe. Now the above person asked for our vote on 2 products and i gave him/her just that,a vote and why i voted for that item,i feel that any thing else is just useless.

13. by the way Gear Head never recomend behringers(or GK for that matter) aluminum coned gear always the paper coned models

14. No offense meant, but I haven't used paper cones, only the aluminum cones, and I was saying that it worked for what I needed it for at the time, but even if you're broke, you can still save for something that will last a lot longer than behringers seem (for the most part) to last.

At least, thats what I'm currently doing, and it sucks. But when I finally get all my gear I won't be GASing for something better for a very long time.

basically, don't pull the trigger until you know that it is EXACTLY what you want, or else you'll regret it a couple weeks after the thrill of a new toy passes.

Obviously for Uncle, Behr is what he GASes for. thats cool.

15. thats whats in the profile
    P.s.

you should really try the paper cones I think you'd like them.

Jam

16. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    The Behringer's are a good bang for the buck. They have plenty of power and I've had one for a couple of years taht gets loaded in a trailer of equipment after gigs, thus getting knocked around a little and never had a problem. I have pro gear and this head is better than I expected it to be. That's the 300 watt head.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1 for the used Peavey.

Stay away from anything that says "refurb". That usually means it was returned with a problem, fixed and then is going to be resold. Many times they can't figure out what was wrong or can't duplicate the problem. So they package it back up and sell it to the nex unsupecting person. If you are going to buy the Behringer buy the new one.

Look for a used Peavey Redline TNT 115. One that's a few years old. Check out the picture.

It will give you a true 150 watts or 200 with a 4 ohm extention cabinet. These can be had for about the price of one of the new Behringers and will outlast and outperform it.

I have some Behringer rack gear and a PMX 3000 powered mixer as well as a little 30 watt practice amp and they have been trouble free so I won't rag on Behringer but I still think the Peavey is a better bet.

I have had to rely on Peavey gear a lot and always feel comfortable knowing that it will last through the gig. Even my old beater Mark III head.

Oh I forgot to mention that the Peavey TNT will probably weigh twice as much as the Behringer. But don't let that scare you off.

18. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    +1, definitely.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021