Belts, and the need to adjust them ... or not!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BergerHead, Nov 28, 2018.

1. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Once set, the most of us do not touch the belts length ever more; in this thought i turned out to give it a fix 1-piece size and there you go ... on the Bergers twice as cool for them bags come really tight on gear (all bags imo a strange kinda weak point), so it fits easily into.

image.png Steinberger L2-5 New Strap 2.jpg

2. IMO the strap should put the guitar up on our belly/chest. Same position sitting or standing. Once there no need to change - again IMO.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My strap stays the same length all the time with my bass centered along my belt line. That's just a tad lower than when I'm sitting due to having long arms. Once I find the right length I'm set.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've never heard of a strap referred to as a belt. I like it.

saabfender likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

for awhile...then you age...maybe gain weight...an adjustment is in order...and then you get older...maybe another pound or two.....:laugh:

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I suppose that can happen, but my strap height has been this way for 30 years.

Pilgrim likes this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Nor I. I don't.

BadWithNames and gebass6 like this.
  8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    It takes me a while to dial in the correct length for each bass and playing style.
    There have been times when I've wanted to raise a bass for one song because of the way I was playing a particular part. The straps with a leather tongue that goes through different slots often have two button holes on them. Sometimes finding one with holes at the right length is a challenge.
    I am always about options. What works for one thing today might not work for something else tomorrow.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    One should adjust the timing belt whenever it's needed. Especially drummers.

AMp'D.2play and Tony G like this.
  10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    If I wear my bass too low, and it faces downward, I can't see the fingerboard if it's below the equator of my belly.

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I play seated - no strap needed.
    I do wear a belt though.

12. I have a couple nice straps that seldom get moved. I like the idea. I don't make adjustments between songs, but there is a big enough difference between how my Spector hangs and my jazz basses where I would want different straps.

gebass6 likes this.
  13. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Well, typical translation fault, in german the strap is called "Gurt" = belt, that's why ... ;-)

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Whether I play standing or seated,the strap I use is the same length.
    Snapshot_20181116_1.JPG Snapshot_20181201_2.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  15. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I thought this was going to be a thread about turning your belt buckle off to the side a little to avoid buckle rash on the back of your bass!

Seanto and BergerHead like this.
  16. BergerHead

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    I apologize for having caused irritation with this confounded term: Hosengurt/Gürtel = belt, Gitarrengurt = strap.
    Otherwise i guess my English pretty good for a non native ... and if you find other grammar faults, you may keep them or give it in caritas to the ones in need! :p

Lobster11 likes this.
  17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't like strap locks, so I use oversize strap buttons. Along with a very thick strap they basically cannot be removed without unscrewing the button. So I don't adjust the strap once it is installed at the right length.

18. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    It's a good modification to make to your actual belt.
    20180707_130924.jpg

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    No need for all that.

Tony Lama doesn’t make them any more but the online universe is lousy with all manner of styles of stitched leather buckles Lama produced back in the day, usually for less than $20.

upload_2018-12-4_15-44-16.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Templar likes this.
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yup. Same here. I may adjust it a notch or so after playing an instrument the first time, but each bass has its own strap, and the adjustment is set once I get it right.

Russell L likes this.