Ben Jenson Retained?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by B. Johnson, May 23, 2005.

1. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    Any word on whether Ben Jenson made it through his trial weeks up in canada or not?
  2. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    I still want to know if he got retained. Does anyone have any idea about this??
  3. I talked to Ben a few weeks ago, and he did not get a majority vote from the committee. Apparently it had little to do with his playing, and more to do with the wierd political situation up in the NAC. Zuckerman wants him up there, and they are planning on having him up next season as a guest, though Ben said he doesn't know exactly what that will mean.
  4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I hope my post won't be taken the wrong way. It's intended only as a comment in general and I write it as someone that is not part of the NAC Orchestra nor part of the orchestra scene period and the political crap is one reason I will always stay away.

There is a lot more to being principal of a section than just having the chops to play. There may be some young players who have the maturity and experience to lead a section but there are also many that do not. Some people might say that before being offered any principal position that you should have played as a section member in that or another equivalent orchestra. In fact I believe that my comment applies not just to playing in an orchestra but to many other fields of endeavour too.
  5. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    I talked with Bruce Bransby a bit ago and asked him about Ben's situation. He just simply didn't get the votes, because he is too young. They are going to have him come back up during the year for a couple of weeks is what I heard, which isn't to bad for a senior in college.