Benedickt Lang

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Koolfool, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Koolfool

Koolfool

Nov 27, 2014
    I have a 1950 5/8 Jusek Roundback (Spruce top, Maple sides and back) that I just got restored. It looks like the Mittenwald Gambas that Benedickt Lang made. What can you tell me about Benedickt Lang? Where can I get more information on the Lang Family?

2. Keith Guitars

Keith Guitars Commercial User

Aug 25, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    Builder: Martin Keith Guitars
    Hi! You'll have better luck over on the Double Bass (DB) side of TalkBass...this is the Bass Guitar side.
    Best of luck!

3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I'm glad someone knew what the OP was talking about...

unbrokenchain likes this.
  4. Call Metropolitan Music in Vermont. That’s the Juzeks.

james condino likes this.
  5. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I have seen and played several very nice 3/4 and 7/8 Benedikt Lang basses. The wood choices, especially the tops, are usually very nice !!

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Many carved Juzeks were made by Wilfer. Lang is know to have made plys for them, but other shops may have supplied carved instruments to the Juzeks, including Lang. Juzek outsourced all the basses and is a USA brand name of imports by Metropolitan Music (Juzek family biz) beginning in the 1920s.

8. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think Steve would know if this were true or not, but somewhere I read that the post war (WWII) tops coming from Europe were thick to ensure safety during shipping. Dunno if true.
    Louis

10. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Especially after the first general availability of steel strings for doublebass, around 1960. the tops got thicker, the neck angles became more shallow and the string lengths became shorter for commercial German basses.

VictorW126 likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021