Bergantino HDN 212 vs two HDN 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I was comparing the 4 ohm 700 watt HDN212 vs 2 350 watt 8 ohm 112.

It seems like the two 112s are louder. Is this possible?

although together they are heavier than the HDNo212, the 112s are easier to transport, and it gives ,w the option of carrying one to practice.

zon6c-f likes this.
  2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    personally I will take a one cab option...much easier to move around....are you sure the 212 is 4ohm?

3. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    The 212 is 700 watts at 4 ohm.

I checked the Bergantino site the SPL measure for the 112s seams higher, so I guess it 2 of them should be louder...

zon6c-f and murphy like this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The CN212 I own is 4 Ohm and when I was comparing it to two CN112 cabs (8 Ohm versions for 4 Ohm total load) I honestly wasn't one of those folks who could hear a difference...other than a little more top end presence from a second horn...which really wasn't that appealing to me as I often turn the horn down anyway.

I imagine there is some level of acoustic difference if one were to measure with instrumentation, but I rarely hear a difference between two of a single driver cab and its doubled up big sibling. With the 12" loaded cabs and the music I typically play, I need two 12's and find a single cab solution with this newer lightweight gear works great.

modbass and murphy like this.
  5. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Not sure what you looked at, but the 112's have a sensitivity rating (measured under the same input conditions) of 98 dB, while the 212 is shown as 104 dB, This is exactly the maximum theoretical difference you can expect (+6 dB) for simply combining two identical single cabs. Maybe I'm missing something or read the data incorrectly??

Munjibunga likes this.
  6. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    More eloquently explained... (thank you)... Yes, I can hear/feel that extra 6 db with the 2 112s.

Thank you for confirming.

zon6c-f likes this.
  7. What has been confirmed is that in this instance the 2 single 12 cabs are the same as the two twelve cab.

8. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Essentially the two 112 cabs are likely to perform identically to the one 212 cab volume-wise. One might hear some additional upper, upper mid/high end clarity with the two 112's and their two horns, but everything below say around 5KHz (I'm purely guessing at the crossover frequency where the horns are out of the picture) should be the same.

My 6 dB comment was meant as the difference between a single 112 cab and two 112 cabs OR a single 112 cab and a 212 cab. Hopefully that's what you thought I meant! :)

zon6c-f likes this.
  9. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan Guest

Jan 24, 2016
    not sure if i want the bergantino HDN 212 the CN212 the HDN 410 or the HD410....which one has more power/boom and better with a usa fender geddy lee jazz bass? I like the low boom bass and mid to high range sound

10. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I don't know if the 212 option is any louder or sounds different than 2x 112.
    I own 2x HD112. All I know is schlepping two individual 39lb boxes up and downstairs, in and out of cars, around tables and diners, through crowds, and then back home in the wee hours is enough of a pia. Trying to do all that with one BIG HEAVY box is un-thinkable.

Personally, I can't imagine the sound difference would be enough to justify maneuvering something that big and heavy up and down 3 flights of stairs at 2AM.

But that's just me...