1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bernard Edwards In Action!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Here's Bernard Edwards with Chic on Soul Train.

elBandito likes this.
  2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Wow - they sound just like the record! :)

DWBass likes this.
  3. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    He was awesome. He started out as a guitarist and taught Nile Rodgers how to play funk guitar, according to Rodgers' memoirs. He would play his bass so hard his fingers would be bleeding after a gig.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Unfortunately, 99% of the artists never played live on Soul Train.

5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    So . . . if they're lip synching/finger synching, what significant "action" is he really "in" in this video?

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    He is plugged in and to me he is playing in this video.

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I think this is one of those rare moments, notice how you don't hear the string section.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    s
    How about these two by AWB...?

"School Boy Crush"

"Cut The Cake"-

Both sound "different" than the album...Ferrone actually looks like he's hitting the drums (many non-live playing has the drummer looking like he's playing with tissue paper heads) & the cymbals actually crash when he hits them.
    :)

9. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    The strings are right there. Here's the record. Sounds like the same thing to me:

10. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    Jerry Barnes is a good buddy of mine - He replaced Bernard. Jerry is a MONSTER and he admires Bernard! That says something

11. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Jerry Barnes kicks ass. I have the Chic live in Montreux DVD and he's mindboggling.

12. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Not to take ANYTHING away from Bernard Edwards -- he is truly one of the greats! But most of the times I saw him play, he sorta held a plucking finger like it was a pick. I don't recall seeing him using that "more guitar-like" technique that's in the Soul Train footage. I wonder if it was prerecorded like so many other ST performances were ....

Regardless, he was fabulous and is sorely-missed!

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, he's got something plugged in but it doesn't look like Nile Rogers is plugged in. The drummer is barely playing and faking hitting the cymbals. Not live. I hear the strings as well.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I did say 99%. Not 100%. There were a few artists who did play live. Stevie Wonder being one.

15. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo Commercial User

Nov 17, 2011
    Princeton NJ
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    Jerry has been to my home many times and I had the pleasure of watching him form 2 feet away. I couldnt even attempt to play his warm up exercises.. This is a great story... A few years back, Jerry did a clinic in my booth at the Philly Guitar Show. Some guy walks up to Jerry and goes, "You kinda remind me of Jerry Barnes".. The reply, "I am Jerry Barnes".. We were on the floor...

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  16. It's an obvious lip-sync. Hell, the singers aren't even close to in time and they're a mile away from the mics. Still, great track, great band, great bassist! The AWB tracks are clearly live. The fill Ferrone plays on 'School Boy Crush' at 2:00 is eye-wateringly awesome.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I know. Was just wonderin' what you thought.

I checked out "Machine Gun" by the Commodores on Soul Train...looked live.
    Other Soul Train performances I like are Heatwave's "One Night Tan" & Brick's "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody"...both not live, though.