1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 5 string under about $250?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeliriumTremens, Apr 4, 2009.

1. I need a 5 string bass for my band, but don't have much cash to spare at the moment. Not opposed to going used but nothing too rare/obscure as I need one soon and don't have much time to be searching ebay for one. What is there? I'll be playing technical death metal

2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    for about that price i'd go with a Peavey Millennium BXP 5-String Bass Guitar if i was to go new... however you should search around the classifieds here on TB and you might find something.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    for tech. death metal, look used. something with soapbars and an active eq would be ideal.

4. Fender MB-5 (not the Squier model) is a passive early '90s MIJ 5-string with 2 single coil J style pickups. I used one for several years, and it was a great bass! You can pick one up used for $200-$250 on Ebay once in a while.

5. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
  6. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
  7. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey

Those peavey grinds are notorious for neck shrinkage, which will result in the frets hanging over the fingerboard, and slicing your hand

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  9. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I love my Peavey Grind! :spit:

I say get a Peavey. I love mine to death, and will always keep it.

10. Dean Edge 5 String
    I just picked up a 6 string edge from these guys a little over a month ago and they told the whole truth about the finish "blems". Insane bargain for the price, and brand new with warranty. beats used any day. but if you can play it first, going used isn't as much of a risk. I payed $350 for mine and the free shipping got it to my house in 3 days :bassist: all in all great bass but i did order a new emg pre-amp for it since the treble boost had a slight buzz when turned up. but definitely take a look around on ebay and here in the TB classifieds, you also might want to look into something from rondo music, seeing as how they seem to have a really loyal following as of lately.

http://www.rondomusic.com/405BLKQ.html

11. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    that's going to be pretty much ideal for technical death metal, i'd say go for it. although the peavey grind is a wonderful option as well.

Edit: i notice that he ibanez says it needs some work. if you can't do that yourself, go for the grind, imo.

12. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree! If you see one you like, be sure to check to neck and frets. The one I bought needed a bit of fretwork to get the action down. It's a pretty good bass, especially for the price.

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  14. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I bought an Ibanez SR 405 from Elderly about 3 mos ago. I love it. It was in perfect condition. Their description tends to be a little critical I have found. So I would expect any thing from them to be a little better than advertised.

15. I think it just needs a good cleaning, I have all the stuff for that