1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best A/B switch?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vegaas, Mar 18, 2009.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I need TB's help on this.

I am looking for an A/B switch to easily switch between basses during gigs. I have heard that if you dont get a good one you end up with ground hummm or it colors your sound. I want one that will not change my sound and has no hum. What are TB's suggestion?

Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Look at Radial, and Lehle. 2 brands I trust, both make great, but different A/B boxes for various applications.

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've had great luck with Rolls brand stuff..

You can also just build a low cost on/off switch.. OR get a cord with the on board function

Tim

4. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    I'd say Lehle if you are looking for the best..

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Definitely not the Morley ABY. Too much volume loss.

6. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
  7. I use a RedZone Splitzo ABY and it is a very versatile box.

8. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I agree if you're using both A and B at the same time, it's pretty atrocious. But I use it to switch between EB and EUB live and don't have any problems with it.

So, to the OP - if there's a chance you're going be using both channels simultaneously, stay (far) away. But, one channel at a time it Morley can work fine.

9. danjerl

danjerl

Feb 10, 2009
    I have the Morley also and use a URB and electric through it. Works very well 1 ch. at a time.

10. I highly recommend this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-BigShot-IO-Selector-Switch?sku=153938

The worst thing you can say about it is that there are no lights to show you which bass is selected, or if the mute is on. So it's not unusual to click two or three times before the bass you're wearing can be heard. Otherwise, it's flat-out perfect. And although some will tell you you *have* to have a battery in it for silent switching -- you don't.

If you don't need preamp/eq features (e.g. Bassbone) this is a great way to go.

HTH,

-jb

11. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee

Looks like what I am looking for. So I assume it does not color your sound at all? That is the most important thing to me.

12. I certainly can't hear any coloring. After all, it's a switch; there's no eq, and it's not active. Of course, I only use it in live settings, and the idea that it could be "coloring" my tone in any meaningful way is a bit preposterous. The "Bright" switch is supposed to compensate for long cord runs; I don't use it. The variable pot is nice for matching input levels, but the ugly truth is I play with a variety of "second" basses, so I end up making volume adjustments on the bass.

-jb

13. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    SansAmp_BSDR_DELUXE-8cd93f210e6627fdc65487cf6ebeb2f0.

14. jamesie

jamesie

Jan 11, 2009
    +1

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Agreed. This certainly is the case. I thought I could use it to run my MicroKORG and my Bass into my computer at the same time (both channels on) and the volume loss was terrible. A day later I took it back and got a Berhinger :rolleyes: XENYX 502, some odds and ends and still had bus fare.