1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Amp for Genz Benz NX2-212T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leroy diamond, Nov 6, 2013.

1. leroy diamond

leroy diamond Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    I have a Genz Benz NX2-212T on order and want to partner it with an amp other than a Genz Benz. Any Suggestions.?

2. Ampeg PF-800, GK MB500, Hartke LH500.

3. rockamimjazz

rockamimjazz

Sep 10, 2011
    Virginia
    +1 on the GK MB500. Demo'd it with your cab a while back and it sounded very nice.

4. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    Doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. Whatever sounds good to you is the way to go.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, personal preference. We can list our favorites, but it's your rig.

6. Whatever sounds good to you.

Based on my personal experience, I would only consider heads that say "Genz-Benz" on them. I love their amps and see no reason not to pair a Genz cab with a Genz amp.

7. leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Thanks for all your responses folks. I live in the west of Ireland (a very rural area) and cannot access a music store with a variety of amps to try out with the Genz Benz cab, indeed I have had to ship the cab from the U.K., as they are unavailable here in Ireland to the best of my knowledge. I am therefore heavily reliant on the experience of the on line bass community with regard to purchasing a suitable matching amp.

Why not a Genz Benz Amp?
    I. There are reports of reliability issues on this side of the pond with Genz Benz Amps.
    2. Fender, who are going to be handling Genz Benz gear do not have a great reputation for after sales support over here
    3. It may be the case that Genz Benz gear will be phased out, making the wisdom of purchasing a Genz Benz amp questionable

I was originally going to go with the Bergantino CN212 which retails in the U.K. for £950 but the Genz Benz NX2-212T has been reduced from £850 down to £379! so its a no brainer

8. leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Any more suggestions?

9. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I loved a Mesa Walkabout with that cab.

10. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I had the NeoX 212T and loved the Walkabout with that cab. The Shuttle 9.0 and that cab was also a fantastic pairing.

11. Dan Paveley

Dan Paveley

May 1, 2011
    I just bagged the NX2 for £379 as well and I actually prefer it to the Berg NV610 from which I'm downsizing. Tighter bottom end on my Dingwall SJ5 and much tastier highs for my tastes, let alone how easy it is to move. Anyway, I've been running both with a GB STL 9.0 for a couple of years and the head has always been reliable for me. I'm very careful with it because of the valve but yeah, never had any problems. It's a really great, gospel sounding, tight-as-you-can-ask-for pairing with the NX2 and you could probably bag one cheap if you change your mind about GB. Otherwise, please ignore this post!

12. leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Cheers. They are going cheap alright. Might swing back in the Streamliner direction yet.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Wow. That is an AMAZING price for what is, IMHO, a truly outstanding cab. All the remaining stock on this side of the pond is gone already. Frankly, if amp prices have dropped similarly on GB over there, I'd get an S-Max (any iteration) and be done, taking my chances with warranty. Otherwise I vote for Walkabout if you don't have to be super loud, GK MB500 if you want rather loud, and GK MB800 if you want silly loud.

14. Had mine paired with a Genz Shuttle 6.0...perfect match @ 4 ohms...

15. Leroy I think we narrowed down the negative Genz reports to you and you alone. Ive seen very little regarding quality issues...so if its in your head they are unreliable then thats on you.. I wouldnt avoid them in the least bit and in fact come tax time Ill be picking up a Streamliner for sure

16. It depends what tone(s) your after. I am running my NX2-212T with a Markbass Big Bang - lots of clarity, transparency and warmth which I personally like as a starting point. For overdriven sounds combine this with a good OD pedal (e.g. Darkglass) and you have a very versatile rig imo (ymmv).

17. leroy diamond

Aug 21, 2005
    ireland
    Don't shoot the messenger. See the pictures here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221566-genz-benz-bargains/page__st__270
    Customers expecting US built cabs but getting Mexican built cabs. tut tut
    Fault with streamliners here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/221267-lights-gone-outstreamliner/
    tut tut

Anyway I have put an end to my procrastination and gone for a Tecamp puma 900. Comes with a whopping 3 year warranty! and none of the uncertainty regarding Genz Benz products.
    Most importantly it sounds Killer through my U.S. built (Lucky me) cab.
    Interestingly although the NX2-212T cabs sold out weeks ago when the price was slashed, there are still plenty of end of line Shuttle/streamliners for sale over here at massively reduced prices but for whatever reason are not being picked up