Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Bass DI for live ????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGuy09, Nov 4, 2005.

1. BassGuy09

BassGuy09

Nov 4, 2005
    What is the best DI for live? I have herd alot about the Sansamp DI but not much else. Any other suggestions out there?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, I have yet to hear a truly bad DI for live. I usually use the DI out on my SWR amp, but when I use an amp that doesn't have a DI out, I will often turn to a simple little Whirlwind Imp 2 DI that costs all of $50. It's cheap but it's great for live. I've used it in situations ranging from small clubs to arena shows, and it's been completely trouble-free and always sounds good. You can spend a lot more for one, and quite honestly, the more expensive ones like Avalon, Radial, and Countryman do sound better, but not that much better in a live situation.

As for the SansAmp, it's a good sounding DI, but its tone-shaping leaves a lot to be desired.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Sans has got to be the most popular dI in the states. MXR M80 maybe next and the EBS desireable but expensive.

You're not going touch any of those for $50. They'll be double that used and the EBS probably 4x's that if you can find one.

I have the Sans and MXR and they can enhance tone significantly but they're not a cure all by any stretch. As often as not, I prefer the tone bypassed. In as much, the Whirlwind is probably worth checking out.

You may want to do a TB search in effects - really where this thread should have been posted. There are also lots of user reviews at harmonycentral.com

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ...it's no contest-- the Avalon U5 wins hands down!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Radial makes the ones some of my favorite players use. The Avalon is also a great choice... many of my other favorites use them ;)

I've always considered the sansamp an effects box more than a DI.

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have used a lot of DI's in various settings and I continue to go back to Radial.all I can say is Clean and quiet every time.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My first choice is the U5 the Avalon just adds warmth that you didn't know was there! The Grove tubes brick is a nice box if you upgrade the tube. The Countryman is kind of the "entry level" into the "good stuff". And I've also heard good things about the radial stuff. One note about the Avalon, Bass player did a live rigs of the pros issue last year and about 60% of the players had a U5 in their rig and their not doing endorsement deals!

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My JDI Duplex is awesome!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I must say that I love that Avalon U5, and I quite like the Radial, although I got to try it out in less than ideal conditions. But nowadays I just go out of my amp and use the Imp 2 as a backup. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a DI. The older I get, the cheaper I get about spending money on equipment, although my wife sure doesn't think so!