Best bass for rock/metal(#100!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Hey guys - what do you think.
    Fender US Deluxe Jazz 5
    Fender US Deluxe P 5
    Lakland Deluxe 55-02 - all with maple boards.
    I've played lotsa high end basses and these would be my choice but I cant really try any of them to A/B them where I live.I go not only for tone but also balance - I hate neck heaviness but dont mind an overall heavy bass.
    What are your thoughts?

2. dwylie75

dwylie75

Aug 23, 2006
    i use a lakland 44-02. and a fender jazz. the lakland is super punchy. I love it.

d

3. For me usually one of 3 basses.
    Gibson SG-Z
    Gibson Les Paul 5
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Usually the Gibsons.

4. OGUIN

OGUIN

Oct 19, 2006
    I would go with US Deluxe Jass. Definitely nothing wrong with the Lakland, but, the Jazz has a better tone for the type of music, IMO.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Lakland 55-02 D, but get the new Lakland pups. You'll sound great!

6. Thanks guys - I suppose my only concern is the balance factor and the B.Have owned a Spector 5 and loved the string tension but it just didn't balance how I wanted it to.I currently have a Mex Jazz 5 with rosewood board,Lindy Fralins and Seymour Duncan pickups.They sound great but the string tension is a bit flabby and the B lacks definition.I like the feel and balance - just want some more definition and sustain and think the US Jazz might give it to me but then again love the sound of Barts and the Lakland has the 35' scale.
    I think too much dont I!?

7. esps, Viper,Forest(F), Elcipse, or B series everything else just kinda sucks, buy from the 3 top of the line if you go down this route, many of the ones with emgs are killer. Try and look for a neck thru as well. Look on ebay for insanely low prices on esp guitars/basses.

I would choose esp over a fender or lakland, for rock/metal atleast.

8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Either an ESP or Fernandes

but if you're set on one of those three, get the Lakland.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sure that any of the basses that you have chosen above will sound fine for a rock/metal band. After all, it's not really the bass you play, but how you play it. Steve Harris from Iron Maiden has used a Fender 4 string P-bass for eons...most people would agree that "metal" doesn't come to mind when thinking about a P-bass, but you can't dispute his talent or influence.

10. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Amen, Masher

11. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Ibanez SR, SRX, EDB, RD or BTB.

12. Bright P-bass and a Ric.

13. Yeah Maiden are one of my all time fav's and Steve's tone is massive, although I realise this doesn't only have to do with the bass.The Jazz is slightly more comfy to me playing wise,have never heard a P deluxe through an amp and have never played a Lakland period but if the Lakland was as comfy to play as the Jazz then I think that would be my choice.
    Thanks to all for the opinions and keep them comin' if you want.

14. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    fender deluxe 5 (maple) works for me ... and its 4 years now ;)

15. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I love the Stingray. Growly and punchy as hell. Rex Brown used one for a long time.

16. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    He did? Rex was a Charvel guy before he got the Spector endorsement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah, he definitely rocked the Jackson/Charvels in the Cowboys days. You see him rocking a black Stingray w/ a rosewood board in the 101 Proof booklet, as well as in assorted clips of them on tour. You also see him playing a black Stingray 5 with a maple board at a studio session in the Pantera 3 video.

I was on the lookout for Rex w/ a SR after I bought my SR5 and Ampeg rig and noticed that I got a really close tone to his. To me, Rex's tone is one of the greatest Metal bass tones ever, but I was never happy with the sound of a Spector w/ EMG DCs. Go Figure . . .

18. Thanks guys - think I'm gonna go the Fender and maybe drop in a Seymour Duncan 3band pre I have.And yeah - check Rex's tone on Reinventing the Steel.I can get that tone with my setup but just didn't like the way the Spector I had played - just a bit too neck heavy and I couldn't get over it

19. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    forget all the other basses and get yourself a spector. If you wonder who uses them just visit their website. I play hard rock metal and use Spectors, and the tone and clarity is awesome. I used to use several different fenders, but I guess you could say I switched to the dark side lol.

20. The ultimate bass for metal is WARWICK. The end. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021