1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best bass for tapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freakyfrog, Mar 6, 2008.

1. freakyfrog

freakyfrog

Jan 12, 2008
    what's the best bass for wooten style tapping for under 250 bucks?
    thanx

2. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    The one with good construction that's properly set up.

3. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I tend to like Jean Baudin's "The Hideous Claw" :)

l_d49bc6724adbc8b34f99c2209bddec73.

Oh, $250 right...

Take what you can get with this budget for an advanced technique like finger tapping.

Whatever you end up with, make sure the strings are low enough to the fretboard.

4. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Id be shocked if you could tap well on a $250 dollar bass the best budget bass out there for this might be a used Peavey G bass if you can find one as they have the Graphite neck which is very stable of course...

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    +1. the set up is the most important part of the bass for tapping technique

6. +1. An SX isn't gonna tap like a Zon. A good setup can help, but can't fix everything. The best inexpensive basses for tapping are probably the Peavey G Bass or Cirrus. You can have the strings low as you want, but can you play it like a normal bass without buzzing? That's the question.

7. So ugly it's beautiful.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Didn't he get the Hideous Claw for free? I believe that makes it under $250.

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    yep.

anyways, for 250 go used of course. check out ibanez because they make pretty solid necks. otherwise...save your cash.

10. Low-bs

Low-bs Guest

Feb 14, 2008

Attached Files:

11. If you go used you should be able to find a peavey foundation for under $250.

lowsound

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You want something with a flat fingerboard radius, 12" or higher.

That leaves out the Foundation, as much as I like them, they are 7.25".

In your price range, that is going to be a bit of a problem.

13. Jean got the claw for $465, so it's not too far out of this guy's price range. If he were Jean Baudin and had an adoring fan that was also a master luthier, that is. :D

14. I find it decent for tapping. Could use new strings, but other than that it is fine for tapping. Although a flatter board is more desirable for tapping.

lowsound

15. 465. There's a story about it. 65 for the redwood burl 400 for the finish.